Overpitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here's the deal. Friday, I happened to notice in the back of my fridge, a vial of White Labs Cream Ale yeast. I then remembered that I have a kit for some cream ale in the closet. Don't ask how I forgot about them. So I made a starter (first one I might add) for the yeast thinking I would brew Sunday (today). Saturday, I noticed that the best by date was back in January. In a mild state of panic, I went to the LHB store to buy another vial of yeast and made another starter. So now, it appears that the first starter is actually doing quite well. And my question is, will it hurt to pitch both starters? Will I have problems? Its just going into a 5 gal batch. Please hurry as I'm planning on starting to boil water and sanitize soon. Thanks

Thanks. No money in the budget for the near future for another batch. Maybe in a month or so, but not next week. And the next batch I want to try is a pale ale. As for a waste, I didn't want to dump the second starter if I didn't need to, but I didn't want to dump out a batch of beer if the two starters would crap it out.

Two starters won't hurt a cream ale. There are a few styles that depend on esters created during the growth period, but a cream ale isn't one. I'd stick one starter in the fridge and refresh it before using it. Should be good for 2-3 months.

Back