2nd batch seeking advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
My first brew was a Pale Ale, I bottled it about 3 days ago, I looked a a bottle and especially the ones that I bottled twords the end have a lot of white sediment on the bottom, is this bad, odd, or normal for a first brew. We will see how that goes in about 2 weeks. I am going to brew an IPA tonight(these are ingredient kits i got on-line), I have a 6.5 gallon glass carboy and all the other accessories I need, but how do y'all keep the temp of the fermenter at 75 degrees, my house is usually around 75-78 degrees but I don't know if that is a accurate representation of my fermenter's temperature. Is a water bath a good Idea if so do I keep ice in it maybe a thermometer. Just some questions I need help with I want this beer to taste great.

The sediment is just the yeast flocculating out, perfectly normal for bottle conditioned beers (just don't drink that last sip).

An ice water bath or wet towel should be fine to keep your temps down, I used the wet towel method when I started brewing. Get a fermometer that sticks to the side of the carboy to measure the brew temp.

What JD said.

Regardless of how clear the beer looked when you racked from the bottling bucket, the fact that you added priming sugar causes the yeast to re-awaken and begin their mini-orgy again.

That sediment is a miniaturized version of what happened in your fermenter. Except instead of the CO2 escaping the bubbler, it was trapped and absorbed by the beer resulting in carbonation.

Wrap a couple t-shirts around that carboy in a plastic tub of water and put a fan near by. Water wicks up the shirt, fan causes evaporation, evaporation causes decrease in temperature.

thx fellow beer drinkers plenty of questions to arise from this rook.

Latest posts

Back