Which of the following yeast for Guinness Extra Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincob

Reaction score
I have a Guinness Extra Stout clone kit coming in and have the following yeasts sitting in my fridge (washed).

• Wyeast American Ale 1056
  • Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728
  • Danstar Nottingham
  • White Labs English Ale WLP002
Which would be most suitable for this stout and at what fermentation temperature?

I checked the Wyeast and White Labs websites and to a degree, any of them could work. If anyone has had experience brewing an extra stout with any of the above, I would be glad to hear about your results.

I have a keg set up but I think I'm going to bottle these and let them age a while.

Thanks

I used Nottingham for mine (Guinness Stout). It under attenuated, but I think I had two problems.

1, I mashed in way too high, and held it there (faulty thermometer)
2, I under pitched, as the recipe called for two packets of yeast, and I only pitched one.

As for flavor, though, it's really freakin' close. ;)

How about White labs Irish Ale yeast

That is what I will be using this weekend on my first Stout. :mug:

That's the recommended choice but I'm trying to use what I have already. Ideally, I would like to get down to two or three go-to yeasts for most of my homebrews.

I switch between Wyeast's Irish Ale and Whitbread Ale when brewing these styles. I would recommend the Irish Ale.

The good thing about using the Irish Ale yeast (which isn't one of your options) is that it is, as I understand, Guinness's actual yeast.

Absent that, though, I'd probably go with the Nottingham.

Nottingham is my go-to yeast. I've used liquid yeast before, but the dry yeast packets are just so easy to use. I have found that the older I get, the less complicated I like to make things :eek:.

Thanks guys for your replies.

So it looks like from my tray of washed yeasts, the Notty will do.

I had thought that the English Ale yeast would get a few recommendations. Shows that I still don't fully grasp the yeasts and their flavor profiles.

I don't plan on brewing too many stouts so I'll see how this batch turns out to see if I'll continue using Nottingham for future stouts.

I don't plan on brewing too many stouts so I'll see how this batch turns out to see if I'll continue using Nottingham for future stouts.

Nottingham is a great yeast to use if you don't really want the yeast to give a lot to the finished beer

Back