High Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctoungette

Reaction score
I brewed Denny Conn's Rye IPA and just transfered it into a secondary for dry hopping. I took a FG reading and it was 1.021. I followed the recipe and mashed at 153-154. The OG was 1.074 at a half gallon over batch size. The anticipated OG was 1.073. I fermented at 69* for 10 days. It tastes great so that is a positive just wanted to know if it will drop more in the secondary.

Also, I wanted to save the yeast. Should I save the yeast of a batch that did not finish?

Last question, 2 batches in a I have opend the primary bucket to find bits fo the dried krausen from the sides floating on the top. Is this bad? Its never happened before and I always have the Krausen ring.

Thanks to all that reply

First off, did you use a starter or anything in this beer? We need a little more info to try to diagnose the high FG.

Second, I wouldn't reuse the yeast from a beer with such a high starting gravity and a lot of hops. The viability of the yeast is reduced substantially. You would be better served starting out with new yeast. I am sure others are going to jump in here and say that they do it all the time and haven't had any problems, but I am only going by what Jamil says and he has done the research to back it up.

Back