Long Trail Ale - All Grain Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua618

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good all grain recipe for Long Trail Ale? It is made by a microbrewery in Vermont.

I am pretty sure that there is one in Tess and Mark Szamatulski's book "North American Clone Brews". I have two other books of theirs, but this recipe is not in the books that I have. I use to drink Long Trail Ale a lot, but now that I moved from the Northeast I can not get it. I would love to be able to brew it.

Thanks.

Does anyone have a good all grain recipe for Long Trail Ale? It is made by a microbrewery in Vermont.

I am pretty sure that there is one in Tess and Mark Szamatulski's book "North American Clone Brews". I have two other books of theirs, but this recipe is not in the books that I have. I use to drink Long Trail Ale a lot, but now that I moved from the Northeast I can not get it. I would love to be able to brew it.

Thanks.

I don't have a recipe, but my understanding is that Long Trail is an Altbier-style (though I'm sure folks from Dusseldorf would beg to differ). So you'll need some way to lager your brew.

I have heard that it is an altbier. Other altbier recipes that I have seen have said to ferment at around 60 degrees F. What would happen if I tried to ferment this type of beer at room temperature (68-70 degrees F)? I do not have a method to lager my beers right now.

I'm still new to brewing, but my understanding of the way yeast and lagering works is that if you ferment at the high end of a yeast's temp range you end up with more ester production, so more "fruity" flavors (like one would expect from classic ales). The lower the temp the "cleaner" the flavor (to a point of course). Lagering at low temps essentially allows the yeast to continue to "clean up" the brew. The end result is a crisper brew. If you ferment at a higher temp and don't lager, you'll have an ale not an altbier.

I came up with a recipe I plan to brew this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out.

9 lbs two-row pale
1 lb cara-pils *
1 lb crystal 60L
1/8 lb Simpsons Choc.

*Long Trail says they use wheat, I am using cara-pils because its what I have around the house.

1/2 oz N. Brewer @ 60
1 oz Mt. Hood @ 30
1 oz Tetnanger @5

2-step infusion mash 142F/45 min & 155F/45 min.

Shooting for 4.6% ABV and 30 IBUs

I came up with a recipe I plan to brew this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out.

9 lbs two-row pale
1 lb cara-pils *
1 lb crystal 60L
1/8 lb Simpsons Choc.

*Long Trail says they use wheat, I am using cara-pils because its what I have around the house.

1/2 oz N. Brewer @ 60
1 oz Mt. Hood @ 30
1 oz Tetnanger @5

2-step infusion mash 142F/45 min & 155F/45 min.

Shooting for 4.6% ABV and 30 IBUs

Seems like a lot of crystal malt for this kind of beer, especially when you consider the cara-pils is also a sort of crystal malt. Personally, I would knock both down to no more than 0.5 lbs each.

What yeast are you using?

I planned to use WLP- 036 Dusseldorf Alt.

Thanks for that advice on the carapils, I just wanted to use it as a dextrin source as a substitute for the wheat.

Perhaps I'll cut that down to 1/2 lb, the 60L down to 1/2lb, and add a lb of Munich?

Long Trail Ale

8.1lb British 2-row
4oz German wheat
10oz 55L crystal
.5oz chocolate malt

19g northern brewer (10%aa- 6.8 hbu) bittering
9g mount hood (flavor)
9g williamette (flavor)
9g cascade (aroma)
9g williamette (aroma)

Wyeast 1007 or 1056 @ 68-72F

Allow to age for 1 month after carbonation

That malt bill doesn't look quite right. The color seems off. What is your efficiency, because at 75% I wind up with a calculated OG of 1.040. I figured I needed to be around 1.048 to hit the 4.6%ABV

That malt bill doesn't look quite right. The color seems off. What is your efficiency, because at 75% I wind up with a calculated OG of 1.040. I figured I needed to be around 1.048 to hit the 4.6%ABV

That's the clone recipe out of a book I use, and a darn good one. I've never brewed that recipe but every other clone I've brewed from said book is spot on.

Bump! I saw a couple of more recent threads, but nobody seems to have come to a satisfactory recipe. Anyone manage to brew this? Such a pleasant alternative to IPAs and sour beers (not that there's anything wrong with those!), without veering into the land of sugary sweet brews.

Back