Success!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrrbb

Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago to the day, I brewed my first batch of beer. I chose a Belgian dubbel randomly because I had a few recently that I liked. After I made it, I thought that maybe choosing a dubbel was a little aggressive for my first try.

Well, I just cracked open my first bottle and it tastes just like a dubbel. Nice head, nice carbonation, nice color. Whew, I was worried it would be messed up somehow and I'd have 50 bottles of crappy beer. Damn, I am psyched. I have a cream ale in the secondary now, and I can't wait to bottle that in a week or two.

Now, to figure out what to make next...and chill a couple more dubbels. :mug:

You must be very patient to wait the entire six weeks before opening even one bottle. Congratulations on your success! I know the feeling that cracking your first home brew generates, it's pretty cool. I could just sit and watch my carboys bubble and churn... :)

If you're smart, you'll shred all of your credit cards now, but it's probably too late already.... keep up posted on your next success...

Simply excellent. Welcome. I am from NYC orig but went to school at SUNY B. Where I consequently learned all about good beer

This is how it all starts you know...

First you buy an inexpensive brewing kit and a couple of extract kits to, you know, get the swing of things. After you crack open that first bottle from your first batch and you know it's good....REALLY good, then you say to HELL with the extracts I'm going deeper. Then you start accumulating necessities. Hording grain and hops and a few lbs of DME and LME "just in case" for those impromptu brews when you have a few hours to kill. You buy your AG setup and move all your tools and boxes out of the cellar and that's when you realize that you just can't stand the thought of bottling all of this beer! Then come the kegs. You start innocently enough with a corny keg or two and a spare refrigerator you found on the side of the street. 2 months later you have a kegging system with a bar that would rival the local brewpub's setup! You have dreams about new beer recipes and you can't look at anything food or beverage that you don't ask yourself "I wonder what that would taste like in my beer?". You have a small dorm refrigerator used exclusively for your extensive yeast collection and your wife/SO rolls her eyes at you when you tell her "NO!! There isn't room for your mom's meatloaf in that refer because I'm planning on using that space for my mini-lager!"

Yeah. You're boned. Welcome to the club. Hope those are deep pockets, because everything starts out to be small scaled. It rarely works out that way.

nice work man... set a few bottles of that sucker away for some months and come back to it... dubbel is a good beer for aging.

This is how it all starts you know...

First you buy an inexpensive brewing kit and a couple of extract kits to, you know, get the swing of things. After you crack open that first bottle from your first batch and you know it's good....REALLY good, then you say to HELL with the extracts I'm going deeper. Then you start accumulating necessities. Hording grain and hops and a few lbs of DME and LME "just in case" for those impromptu brews when you have a few hours to kill. You buy your AG setup and move all your tools and boxes out of the cellar and that's when you realize that you just can't stand the thought of bottling all of this beer! Then come the kegs. You start innocently enough with a corny keg or two and a spare refrigerator you found on the side of the street. 2 months later you have a kegging system with a bar that would rival the local brewpub's setup! You have dreams about new beer recipes and you can't look at anything food or beverage that you don't ask yourself "I wonder what that would taste like in my beer?". You have a small dorm refrigerator used exclusively for your extensive yeast collection and your wife/SO rolls her eyes at you when you tell her "NO!! There isn't room for your mom's meatloaf in that refer because I'm planning on using that space for my mini-lager!"

Yeah. You're boned. Welcome to the club. Hope those are deep pockets, because everything starts out to be small scaled. It rarely works out that way.

Oh man, is that really how it goes? I'm screwed. I thought I was already spending too much money. There is so much room to grow in this hobby, but a 700 sqft condo in the city and a tight budget are going to challenge me. I guess I'm just going to have to accept the fact that my second bedroom is no longer a second bedroom, it is now a brew room, and soon to be a bar.

Just starting on my third batch this week (still haven't even bottled my first) and I just wanted to give a shoutout to everyone so far, this forum has taken over whatever part of my life remains after ACTUALLY brewing.

Congrats ddrrbb! I see you're another beginner brewer in the Chicago area. Give me a shout sometime!

Back