Forbidden to brew…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael88n

Master Napper
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It really has been a long time since I’ve last brewed, but it’s not my own choice. I have only brewed for about a year before this interruption, mostly extract and partial mash brews. I’ve also got two batches of Ed Wort’s Apfelwein batches under my belt.

Since last summer, I have been lurking and reading post after post here at homebrewtalk.com absorbing, learning, and dreaming of what brews I’m going to make when I get back.

I am in the military and am currently serving overseas driving convoys in Kuwait and Iraq. On one of my trips, I rode with a wine maker for twelve days and talked for hours and hours about what we were going to make when we got back.

It was at that point I decided to step up my game and start all-grain brewing. It’s time for me to order the equipment and make those all grain recipes that I have been reading about.

Here in the desert, we fall under General Order No. 1 which (among other things) forbids “Introduction, possession, use, sale, transfer, manufacture, or consumption of any alcoholic beverage.” That really limits my brewing to my imagination.

So for all of you back in the “real world” with empty carboys in your basement or garage, get off of your duff and get a batch brewed! Exercise your right to brew your own beer! And drink it! The freedoms we have are never missed as much as when they are lost. And while I’ve been gone, my tubing, carboys, and bottles have been sitting (sanitized and bagged) in my garage going unused.

If there is one upside of this deployment, I have some Irish Stout, a Pale Ale, and a Wee Heavy sitting in my parents basement conditioning for the past nine months… I have those tasty brews waiting for me while I get going again. Hopefully, that will tide me over until my first batch is ready to drink.

But until then, I’ve got my imagination to keep me occupied.

Cheers,

Michael

If there is one upside of this deployment, I have some Irish Stout, a Pale Ale, and a Wee Heavy sitting in my parents basement conditioning for the past nine months…

Funny, I picked up those exact beers and a bunch of brew equipment at a yard sale last week ;) :cross: :drunk:

Just want to say thank you for serving for us.

I have SOOOO much respect for all that server our country!! You guys can NEVER be thanked enough!! and are all under appreciated for what you do and sacrifice.

Be careful and come home safe!

Wow... I keep wondering if I should brew another batch this weekend... and this is a really good argument for it. Thanks for the extra motivation!

You should have someone pop some of those beers in the fridge a few days before you get home, and maybe have a kit waiting there for you. Sounds like you're ready to jump right back into it.

Be safe out there, and I hope you get home soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

As a fellow Veteran (2001-2006) I understand the pain of temporarily losing access to your hobbies and passions while overseas.

Be smart and get home safe. There's a lot of life waiting for you back here. Thank you for your sacrifice, I know how much it means to be appreciated.

/salute

ps. if you need someone to babysit your beer while you're gone....

Thanks for your work over there. It's amazing to me that our country expects you to risk your life thousands of miles from home, but won't let you have a beer during downtime.

Best of luck and most importantly - get home safely!

Thank you. Stay safe.

PM me when you are getting back, and I'll send you a couple of bottles of my version of the 888 Russian Imperial Stout.

Any idea when you will be cycled back to the States?

Best of luck over there!

I know a brewing distributer that was helping out a US military brewing contractor with hops. I'd never heard of that before. Supposedly they ship a self conatined mini-brewery on a truck overseas and brew beer for the troops. I guess not in Iraq though. Anyone heard of this before?

I thank you for what you are doing!!! My prayers go out to you every day. You are the true heroes.

Thanks so much for your service to the United States!!! Our guys & gals in the Military ROCK!

Come back safe! Until then, I'll be hoisting brews in your honor as well as your fellow patriots!

Thank you for your service, and I will raise a glass to you michael88 and all like you tonight!

Schlante,
Phillip

Michael, thanks for all your doing. Former Marine here living in southern Delaware (I know... once a Marine always a Marine. Well, if that's the case, then they owe me a hell of alot of backpay!:D.) I'm brewing an ordinary bitter tomorrow in anticipation of your safe return.:mug:

Keep your head down, don't do anything Stupid, Watch each others back, Come Home Safe to those you love and who respect you for your service!

Semper Fi Brother, Semper Fi
menschmaschine said:
I know... once a Marine always a Marine. Well, if that's the case, then they owe me a hell of alot of backpay!
Never thought of it that way LOL

Have grains will brew this weekend for you! If you are ever in Houston Stop by and have a brew!

Preston

First of all, thanks for all you do! Second of all. wtf! is beer not allowed in the whole stupid sandbox country? No wonder the place is full of whackos! Are they trying to abide by the rules of their country? Why do the rules apply to our guys? We have the guns! We are coming in to clean up the mess! We make the rules!

Get your a$$ back safe and start brewing again! The sand box sux but it is a good life lesson IMO. I was there in 93, 95 and was supposed to go last month as an IA for 350 BOG, but still waiting for the word (waiting sux). Thanks to you and all of us who are willing to put IT on the line to have all the rights and choices we all enjoy in this great country. Thanks again.

AM1 Shawn Allen, USN

Yo Ditto to most of the earlier posts. Thanks for your service. I'm proud of our servicemen & women like you.

I'm drinking my last Raspberry Porter right now for you! So... :mug:

Don't know if you are a Jarhead or USA, USN or AF.

Anyhow, I'm a Jarhead ~ Cannon-Cocker on M19er8's - 155mm Towed Artillery.

LcCpl (1984-88)
Fox Battery, 2nd Battalion
10th Marines. 2nd Mar Div.

Stay Safe Dude!!! Hope your tour goes fast. God bless you and your family.

There are times when the thought of beer is as good as beer itself. Cheers, and many warm thoughts to ya, and to your folks. -p

Thank you for your service.

I'm sure your brews will be excellent when you return to enjoy them!:mug:

It's amazing to me that our country expects you to risk your life thousands of miles from home, but won't let you have a beer during downtime.

Its for our own "safety"- However US is the only military not allowed to have a beer while we are here.

Jesus... if the Aussie armed forces were not allowed to drink off duty, there would be NO Aussie soldiers. Most of them are fighting for the right to have a pint!

Thank you all for the responses and the overwhelming support. As I’m sure you all know, mass media isn’t the most supportive voice of America and, at times, it can be quite disheartening to constantly hear politicians treating the military like their own kids in a nasty custody battle. However, I didn’t want this post to turn into a platform for anyone’s (especially mine) political soapbox. So, again, thanks for all your support.

And for those who asked, I am in the Air Force stationed in Delaware (Hi, menchmachine!), but my unit is attached to an Army transportation battalion and we’re driving the same tractor-trailer, cross-country convoys throughout Kuwait and Iraq that the other services are. One team… One fight. It’s more than a cute saying. We’re living the dream.

Our replacements arrived a last week, so we hope to rotate out by the middle of April.

And don’t think I haven’t thought long and hard about how easily I could make a batch (or two or three) while I am over here. Sanitation (and sand) would be an issue. Hiding the smell of fermentation might be an issue also (Rhino farts? I don’t smell anything, Sir!).

And like MikeFlynn stated, not having brews here is for our protection. There are a lot of people that I don’t trust with a six-pack of Mountain Dew, let alone a six-pack of beer. Of course, some folks do manage to get it here somehow. I’m sure it’s not too hard. It’s just not something I’d like to lose my job over.

So in the past few days, I’ve ordered some rhizomes to plant, ingredients for an IPA, Apfelwein, and still looking for what kind AG kit/equipment would be best for my little house in base housing.

I hope that my fist post prodded a few people to get up and get their brew on. I think it worked.

Again, thanks to you all.

Michael

michael88n said:
and still looking for what kind AG kit/equipment would be best for my little house in base housing.
Michael

When i was in base housing in germany, it was a tight fit to get all my gear together. using the small storage unit they gave me, i had to stack most of it on top of all my other stuff. it was kind of a pain to brew because of lack of space. with that said, if your limited on space, do what i do!! most of my gear pulls double duty, my bottling bucket serves as my mash tun, cleaning bucket, and bottling bucket. if you can pull off an all grain with what you already have, then you don't have to add that much at all. all i really added was a large grain bag to put in my bottling bucket, a larger kettle, a chiller and kegging equipment(although the kegging stuff isn't needed for all grain) not that much at all.

get home safe, brew like theres no tomorrow and enjoy being back home!!!!!

I, too, am in the service. Being stationed in Germany, I would always complain to the wife how hard it is to brew over here. I will now just shut my mouth and be thankful for the opportunities I do get to brew.

CYA! and come home soon! And remember your OPSEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you never know!

USAF SSgt Jason E Horlacher

And remember your OPSEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you never know!

Oh for the love of god. You know we did Combat Search and Rescue support for some important personnel that we were not allowed to know who it was or the flight times. Turns out yahoo and CNN news had the DVs entire schedule posted on the internet and ran it as their top story.

OPSEC is a bunch of crap when 99% of everything is posted to CNN

To michael88n and all my fellow HBT'ers who have proudly served,
Thank you all for standing up. I returned from Afghanistan less than a year ago and have been brewing like crazy since I got back. My brother bought me an AG set up for a homecoming present and I've used the heck out of it.

Just remember, keep your head down and stay safe!!

US Navy Seabees - Can Do since '42!!

Shoulda joined the Navy.

If a ship spends 45 days at sea without ever hitting a port, each crewmember is entitled to two beers (usually Bud). :cross:

I've only ever sailed on auxiliaries as a reservist/MMIRRG and in port every 7-10 days so I have no personal experience in this matter but it might comfort you to know that while you're sweating in the desert, your Navy brothers *might* get a few Buds for their troubles. Then again, considering it's just Bud... you might not really care. :p

I recall an interview with two British soldiers and one of the questions was, "What comfort from home do you wish you had in the desert?"

The first gentleman answers, "Fish and chips and a few pints of bitter."
The second answers, "My wife."
The first says, "Wait a minute, I didn't know that was an option! ... Then again, I'd still rather have the beer."

TrojanMan said:
Shoulda joined the Navy.

If a ship spends 45 days at sea without ever hitting a port, each crewmember is entitled to two beers (usually Bud). :cross:

It's actually 80 days...I was in the fleet for 6 years and I was "lucky" enough to hav experienced this. The only positive to it is that our "beer day" just happened to fall the day after my 21st b-day, so I got to have a couple of beers to celebrate the occasion. I may be the only guy to celebrate his 21st with a beer on a Navy ship in the middle of the Red Sea!!!!

Back