Imperial Stout recepie needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I have a family member that homebrews. He loves stout. He dosn't brew that much but he did, for christmas last year, make a chocolate stout. It wa pretty good. Today he got in a work related accident that resulted in loss of feeling in one side of his body and there was a compound fracture. He's fine. Not great, but won't be brewing anytime soon. Hell, doc says he might not walk without a cane ever again. Hanging out being depressed isn't something I should probly be doing right now so instead I've thought of making a beer that we can enjoy once he's off of pain meds. Might be 3 or 4 months so I'm thinking a good Imperial Stout is just the thing that will be fun to spring on him. Sure card/flowers is great for women.... but it's just great for women. Men like beer, babes, power tools and more babes. He's married and power tools are as personal as babes, as far as picking them out imho. But beer. Oh wonderful BEER. The frothy ambrosia is equaly as important to any other guy I can think of as flowers and cards are to women. I need a recepie that is hoppy as hell, a good 9%, AT LEAST, and THICK AS MUD!! Something with a FG of 1.030 or higher. Something, also, that dosn't exceed 75 IBU's but rides the edge. He had one of my ales with the combination Simcoe and Amarillo hops and loved it. He suggested It be darker tho.... LOL!! OK, this one is for you man! I made it with Rogue pacman yeast. I still have a package in the fridge I was saving for a special occasion. This is definately it. I have yet to make a porter or a stout so I need help in this area. I love crystal malts myself. I love crystal 60 and up. I also enjoy melanoidin as an aromatic. I just know these specialty malts. Havn't played with too many others to get a taste for them. I think I'll just minimash all my specialty grains and add my malt extract from two 7lbs light malt extract tubs. So I guess alot of the recepie goes...

14 lbs light LME

Rogue pacman Wyeast
6 oz Simcoe hops
6 oz amarillo hops

course just enough to get the ibu's to straddle 75 and then split the remaining for finishing and dry hopping. Just need the minimash to make this a really P!$$#& OFF Imperial Stout. Any help will be appreciated not by me as much as my family member. Today's been an interesting day for sure. I Hope days like this on nobody. period.:(

The new Zymurgy has a recipe for imperial stout but I havn't read it yet I just skimmed over it. Could be a good start though . I wish the best for your friend. And good luck with the brew. If you can't find the recipe and you want me to post it let me know.
Cheers

how does this sound?

14lbs light LME
2lbs american chocolate
1lbs black patent
3lbs crystal 120
2lbs carafoam

1oz simcoe and amarillo @60 min
1oz simcoe and amarillo @30 min
2oz simcoe and amarillo @5 min

Dry hop with 2oz simcoe and amarillo

Rogue pacman yeast.

is that too much american chocolate and black patent? dumping tons of crystal in to get some nice toffee flavors in there to compete with the black grains and to up the FG. Am I on the right track? I am going to make a 1/4 gallon starter then step it up to a 1/2 gallon starter. I believe I'm also going to need some yeast nutrients? Does this sound right too? I like my 6-8% brews but this is a 11%ish. only have one barleywine under my belt and I used the yeast slurry from another beer for it.

Latest posts

Back