Anyone own Polk Speakers ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
An early Father's Day present was a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 40's (refurbs via Polk Direct) to replace an aging set of PSB Alphas.

WOW! Just wanted to share my experience and also say I won't be able to brew bec I am so absorbed by re-discovering my music collection ! There is simply more musical information, and the sound is effortless and much more open )obviously since bigger speaker)

Any other Polk owners out there wish to share ?

My friend Evelyn, who was in the hi-end audio business for decades (California Audio Labs, Absolute Audio and lastly, Theta Digital), always spoke highly about Polk and his speakers.

I've had a little direct listening pleasure with Polk speakers. they make some good stuff. I wouldn't trade my Paradigm's for them but that's just personal preference.

I've got Bang and Olufsen amp. Denon receiver. and Polk speakers set up in my library. Old system now, but still doing fine. I bought the equipment back in my audiophile days. These days my ears are not too discerning so I actually use my Sony all-in-one surround sound system that is attached to my TV more often. I spent more on the cables alone on my B&O system than on the entire Sony.

I've had a little direct listening pleasure with Polk speakers. they make some good stuff. I wouldn't trade my Paradigm's for them but that's just personal preference.

I spent abt 2 hours auditioning Paradign monitor 7's and then the 9's ... it was simply intoxicating, and he just left me alone with the equipment ... I was so close to pulling out the plastic...I do think the 7's are better than the Polk monitor 40's (same design, essentially, save for floorstanding vs "bookshelf"

What made me pull the trigger was simple economics ..the 40's cost me $134 delivered, while the 7's list for $800 .. so I can take the savings and get another set for the kitchen..or get a better stereo for the car.

Hey, I know - how about some keggles !

I have Polks in my truck. Love 'em.

I have Magnepans in the house, though... I doubt I'll ever switch back to conventional speakers.

I have Polks in my truck. Love 'em.

I have Magnepans in the house, though... I doubt I'll ever switch back to conventional speakers.

I thought about the MMG's for the music room ... but then I worried that the cats would destroy them, using them as scratching posts. $500 scratch posts weren't for me (smile)/

Called Magnepan - very nice gal told me it was a plm (cats), and some people put cardboard over them to keedp the critters out.

I have cats, but I have the smaller MMGW speakers, and they're mounted on the wall about two feet from the floor where the cats don't bother them.

I did have to shoot the cats with a water bottle for a couple weeks straight any time they tried to get on top of the TV near the MMGC, but they've stayed off since.

I've got a 5.1 set of small Polk speakers (the sub is huge). I don't have the model right now, but can check when I get home. I would have preferred something a little larger, but was over ruled. For the size of my living room these little things rock! They have great sound. When we upgrade to our next house a new set may be in order... long ways away tho.

WOW! Just wanted to share my experience and also say I won't be able to brew bec I am so absorbed by re-discovering my music collection !

And the colors of the sea blind your eyes with trembling mermaids,
And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses:
How his naked ears were tortured by the sirens sweetly singing,
For the sparkling waves are calling you to kiss their white laced lips.

Sirens that keep you from Brewing.... Begone!

I spent abt 2 hours auditioning Paradign monitor 7's and then the 9's ... it was simply intoxicating, and he just left me alone with the equipment ... I was so close to pulling out the plastic...I do think the 7's are better than the Polk monitor 40's (same design, essentially, save for floorstanding vs "bookshelf"

What made me pull the trigger was simple economics ..the 40's cost me $134 delivered, while the 7's list for $800 .. so I can take the savings and get another set for the kitchen..or get a better stereo for the car.

Hey, I know - how about some keggles !

those are what I have. (the monitor 7's) as my L&R. and the CC190 for the center, atom monitors as surrounds and PDR10 woofer.

the only reason I was able to afford them was because I had just gotten back from an 8 month deployment in the sand box.

they are intoxicating and the place I bought them at were very helpful and understanding. I must have went in 3 times bringing all my CD's and testing out everything, then brought in a movie.

I got a hell of a package deal for getting all the speakers together in one sitting.

Hey there kappclark.

Congratulations on the polk purchase. I understand completely the statement about not having brew time at the moment. New A/V gear can be equally addictive.

I am a long time Polk fan and have a collection of mostly their vintage speakers that I rotate in and out depending on where I live and what fits. Here is most of my current Polk collection
Polk SDA-1C's
Polk SDA-1A’s
Polk Monitor 10B's
Polk Monitor 7's
Polk LSI-9's
Polk Monitor 5's
Polk 5 jr's
Polk PSW-450 Sub
Polk CSI40 Center

I don't think Polk is the final word in speakers by any stretch, but I really think they are hard to beat at their price point. By owning mostly speakers from the same company and the same generation I usually don't have to worry much about timber matching anything in my surround system. Every couple of years I go through an upgrade fever and start upgrading amps and A/V receivers, TV's etc. Then I go though long periods where I just sit back and enjoy.

If you didn't know there is a pretty big online polk owners community online.
Club Polk - Powered by vBulletin

Enjoy the new speakers and rediscovering your music collection.

Cheers :mug:

Thx for the posts -

Yes - I joined Club Polk, and is a nice group.

First set of Polks we owened were a set of 10B's, back in the early 80's and man the records never sounded better.. Friends would show up with their recordings just to hear .. the demo at the store took 2 days ... finalyy the guy put on a sizzling Joe Sample record and we were stunned !

Moved to a smaller place, and sold them..bought a set of 5 jr's. Gave them to daughter to take to Tulane, never to return (the speakers, that is !)

My brother had the SDA's, and they were very impressive.

So, I am back in the Polk mode again. I might add I don't have any surround stuff..still atraight stereo via HK 3380 receiver, which has plenty of juice fro the monitor 40's.

I might add that I will be doing a cream ale tomorrow night..so the novelty is wearing off ever so slightly.

Back