1/4" ffl to 1/4" FTP or check ball valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotbfan

Reaction score
I am putting together my regulator manifold, and ran into the issue of all of my secondaries terminating in MFL fittings. Attempts to remove the fittings resulted in damaged brass, so I finally went with FFL to FFL swivel unions to conect the regs, and another FFL-FFL union, to MFL to FPT adapter, to a MPT to barb adapter to bring my gas in (couldnt find a FFL to barb adapter locally). FFL to FFL unions are 5 bucks each at my true value, using them sucks and I am already in for 4 of them!

My newest challenge is finding a way to install ball valves on to the gas out lines (also MFL). Ideally I would like to connect a 1/4" ball valve with a built in check valve, but I already have 3 of 5 of my gas lines with check valves installed at the post connector, so the check in ball is really just redundant and thus not necessary.

This is what I am trying to source fittings to do:

MFL to ball valve to hose barb.

I would like to do this without having to use a FFL to FFL union, MFL to FPT adapter, MPT close thread adapter, FPT ball valve, and MPT to hose barb adapter, as this makes a heck of a lot of points of failure (not to mention a ridiculous expense in brass fittings), but this is the only way I can do it locally.

The piece that would save my life would be a 1/4" FFL to 1/4" FPT adapter, but I can't find those to save my life. Even better would be a ball valve that has a FFL inlet, but I think that is asking too much.

Finally, if all else fails I can buy online a ton of FFL to hose barb fittings and run the ball valves in line on my flexible tubing, but my preference would be to have them hard plumbed to the rest of the brass so they aren't flapping around inside the keezer.

What are my options?

This is probably a wall of text that is TLDNR but I am hoping someone was in the same boat and has already solved this and can make sense of what I wrote.

Thanks in advance.

What are my options?

This is probably a wall of text that is TLDNR but I am hoping someone was in the same boat and has already solved this and can make sense of what I wrote.

Thanks in advance.

Same boat = Yes
Solved = No

But I'd love to hear about what you find out!

I don't know how they put these regs together, there is what appears to be loc-tite on the threads, but it is green, which I have never seen before, and using a vice and a wrench with a cheater bar i sheared all the ridges off of the nut, unable to make it budge...

I don't know how they put these regs together, there is what appears to be loc-tite on the threads, but it is green, which I have never seen before, and using a vice and a wrench with a cheater bar i sheared all the ridges off of the nut, unable to make it budge...
Green loc-tite is stronger than red and blue. You'll likely need some heat to loosen it up. If you can't get a torch on it, try a soldering iron for a few minutes.

I finally found a place that has FFL to MFL ball valves, they don't state that they are wholesale only, so I made an account and put in an order... we will see how they turn out.

This doesn't solve my interest in getting a check valve in with the ball valve, but I can always keep them on the post side.

If all goes well, I will be able to screw these on to the bottom of my regs and just use a barb to FFL adapter to connect my gas lines up (is there a smiley for finger crossing?)

The piece that would save my life would be a 1/4" FFL to 1/4" FPT adapter, but I can't find those to save my life. Even better would be a ball valve that has a FFL inlet, but I think that is asking too much.

I have a similar issue connecting a ball lock connector with MFL to a pressure guage.

Not sure if you are willing to use two parts, but I have been looking for the same adapter. The only solution I
have found is a 1/4" FFL to 1/4" MFT (Amazon). Then you can connect a 1/4" FPT-FPT coupler. (HomeDepot carries).
That's what I am about to go with.

I have a similar issue connecting a ball lock connector with MFL to a pressure guage.

Not sure if you are willing to use two parts, but I have been looking for the same adapter. The only solution I
have found is a 1/4" FFL to 1/4" MFT (Amazon). Then you can connect a 1/4" FPT-FPT coupler. (HomeDepot carries).
That's what I am about to go with.

Just make sure the FFL side is NOT inverted flare. (Common for propane fittings)
That fitting will not mate well with the standard male flare on kegs and
you won't get it threaded.

Here is one:
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375_19_220_284&products_id=1555

Its the best price I have found so far

If I understood it correctly, why dont you just go John Guest from the Male Flare fitting?

Back