Best size flask for stir-plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed4

Reaction score
What kind of flask do you use for your stir-plate?

1000 ml and 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flasks seems to be the norm. What size should I get?

I usually do 700-800ml starters for a 6 gallon batch. A 1000ml would leave little head space for this size of starter, but I figure since it is on a stir-plate, I could reduce the size of the starter to 500ml or less easily?

Also, if you use something else than an erlenmeyer, please share..

2000 ML would be my vote. 700-800 is not big enough most beers. I have a 1000, 2000, 4000 and a 5000ml I use the 2000 the most except for lagers.

I have a 1000, 2000 and a 5000. Never used the 1000. 2000 for ales and 5000 for lagers.

I have been using a 1L flask for a while now and it's been fine, but I also haven't brewed anything high gravity in a long time. I recently looked into making a starter for my planned RIS, and realized that my 1L flask just wasn't big enough. I went ahead and bought a 2L flask when I got the ingredients.

So, I agree with others who say 2000ml. It's a good size for most anything you'd want to brew at that batch size, except for maybe when you get into the big lagers.

Once you factor in yeast viability then often a 2L flask (on a stirplate) is just barely big enough for 5 gal batch of medium gravity ale. I'm making a starter tonight using a smack pack made on 10/12/09 and I'll need to make a 2L starter just to properly pitch a 1.051 OG ale. IMO, 2L should be the smallest size considered.

Since I can't use an Erlenmeyer flask to boil the wort (due to my electric stove top), I've gone ghetto on my starter flasks.

I've used a thoroughly sanitized glass flower vase as a 1L flask.

DSC_2581.jpg

I also use a large 2L glass pitcher (normally used to make lemonade during the summer). The nice thing about my 2L pitcher is that it has a nice lip which prevents the magnet bar from falling into the fermenter.

Both work fine on my homemade stir plate.

I too went the vase route looks to be the exact same as yours. Goodwill store for 59 cents sure beats a $35 flask on short notice! I think I'll go back today and get one double the size though. Since my starter has started to overflow (even with fermcaps) and is only about a 1L.

Back