plastic parts for mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I was at lowes looking at some parts to make a mash tun and due to the price increase in brass i started looking at parts made out of plastic (nylon i think). Does anyone know if they will hold at thr 170 temp as well as if they leach harmful chemicals? Or is it just better to drop the extra cash for brass and piece of mind

I would spend the bucks on all the Brass Fittings now. CPVC will be fine for the manilfold if that is what you are making. But definitely go with brass for your bulkhead fitting. I got away with using plastic fittings for a while, but they finally gave out on me, and unfortunately it was during the Mash.

Some food for thought from PALMERS book, "Brass is a group of alloys made from copper and zinc with some lead thrown in for machinability....It is this lead that can be siddolved off by the wort. While this teeny, tiny amount of lead is not a health concern, most people would be happier if it wasn't there at all" He explains to take the lead off soak in a 2to1 solution of white distilled vinegar that is at around 5% acid and hydrogen peroxide that is about 3% by volume for 5 mins. this will remove the lead from the service of the brass. Don't leave it in for too long though.
Just something to think about. I am currently using plastic as well and no problems so far but will make the move to brass eventually.

what kind of plastic is it? The only plastic parts i could find at lowes where on the same wall as the brass fitting. I believe they were made of nylon (cloudy white). Is this what your using, where did you buy your plastic parts

Back