Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Lot's of cascade bitterness and aroma. Spicy, citrusy.....definate hop lovers beer.
Goes great hard boiled eggs, really great actually.

Don't know about the eggs thing, but found my way through a case. I think it is much better than last year, hoppier. I always buy SN seasonals to drink and then use the bottles, the labels peel off real easy and the beer is good and the right price. I always love Celebration!!

Tasted like biting into a cascade hop. And thats not a bad thing!
Probably one of my favorite seasonal beers yet.

sweet, i didn't know it was out yet this year...haha, guess i dont know when their anniversay is...and i'll forget in 3 months probably, and wonder when it'll come around again.

Tried it a week ago and is really nice. Reminds me of the ole days in the Pacific North West when everyone over used cascades. I really like them...even still.

Great beer!

I had a pack a few weeks ago, and it surprised me. I really enjoyed it, it poured a beautiful color, was not too sweet or viscous but almost had a dry finish, actually, though the citrus of the hops took a front seat and even though they didnt challenge other IPAs in terms of in- your- face hop flavor or aroma they certainly were not an afterthought, and it made the beer crisp, a little perfumey, and delicious.

I had a sixer last weekend and thought it tasted remarkably like their pale ale. That's cool because I love SNPA, but I was expecting something a little more unique.

See, I am not that big of a fan of their staple, the Pale Ale, and I am really enjoying this anniversary brew... I think its upfront aroma is much more present and citrus-y than the Pale Ale.... I just bought another 6 pack tonight... for more research, of course...

I agree on the importance of research. Perhaps I'll have to get a sixer of each this weekend for a side-by-side comparison.

Being dedicated to beer is such hard work sometimes. :)

I picked up a 6er tonight...and ran a search about what people had to say about this beer. I am a big fan of the pale ale....and even a bigger fan of this anniversary brew. Now i will have to start looking for some sort of clone recipe. (extract of course...as I still am a noob). What better way to start the kickoff of football season. If only the gmen were losing....not that Im a redskins fan..but the burn from the super bowl still hurts.

My local grocery has had 23 packs of Sierra Nevada on sale for 9.99. I usually get the Pale ale and I LOVE IT! I bought the Anniversary once and couldn't get into it... didn't have as much body as the Pale, but still a damn fine beer!

Sean From NH

My local grocery has had 23 packs of Sierra Nevada on sale for 9.99. I usually get the Pale ale and I LOVE IT! I bought the Anniversary once and couldn't get into it... didn't have as much body as the Pale, but still a damn fine beer!

Sean From NH

Are you serious?...I live in Boston...and am willing to drive to NH for that price. Are you way up there....or closer to the border?

Just got 6 of em earlier today. Hoping to try a couple tomorrow.

Sean From NH

I must live in the wrong state. On sale today - $30.99 for a 24 of Anniversary

Nice IPA. When I was on vacation a few weeks ago I went through a sixer, I set aside another sixer here a few months back to see how it ages because at the time it was pretty green. Time to fish it out and drink it.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but this is my clone that I and Southandros worked out. For the 2008 version you could drop or lose half of the munich malt and replace with 2-row.

Thanks to Beerfan for his flavor and aroma hopping schedule.

11-09-2008 SNAA #4 Clone

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------

Brewing Date: Sunday November 09, 2008
Head Brewer: Marc
Asst Brewer:
Recipe: SNAA Clone

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.50
Anticipated OG: 1.061 Plato: 14.87
Anticipated SRM: 7.4
Anticipated IBU: 50.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.061 Plato: 14.87
Actual FG: 1.014 Plato: 3.50

Alc by Weight: 4.83 by Volume: 6.19 From Measured Gravities.
ADF: 76.5 RDF 63.8 Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.

Actual Mash System Efficiency: 75 %
Anticipated Points From Mash: 60.56
Actual Points From Mash: 60.56

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour

Raw Pre-Boil Amounts - only targeted volume/gravity and evaporation
rate taken into account:

Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.06 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.051 SG 12.74 Plato

With sparge water, mash water, additional infusions, vessel losses, top-up
water and evaporation rate recorded in the Water Needed Calculator:

Water Needed Pre-Boil Wort Size: 8.35 Gal
Water Needed Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG 10.84 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
88.9 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
5.6 0.75 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
5.6 0.75 lbs. CaraMunich 45 L Malt Belgium 1.033 45

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Chinook Pellet 11.10 27.2 60 min.
0.44 oz. Chinook Pellet 11.10 14.6 45 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.90 8.2 10 min.
2.00 oz. Cascade Whole 6.80 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step
Heat Type: Infusion

Grain Lbs: 13.50
Water Qts: 16.88 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.22 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.30
Grain Temp: 60 F

Dough In Temp: 177 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp: 153 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp: 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp: 168 Time: 0

Runnings Stopped At: 1.010 SG 2.56 Plato

Additional Infusion Temperatures And Amounts
--------------------------------------------

Mash Out Step: 6.99 Qts of 210 Degree Water Added

Total Mash Volume Gal: 7.05 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Down to 3 bottles of my Christmas stash of SN Anniversary....great beer! The store actually had it prices significantly lower than the regular Pale Ale. I wheeled out a cartload.....

Back