Rookie brewer question. Just completed bottling first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisGeb

Reaction score
Hey, so this is probably a stupid question but one that I feel I need answered. I just finished bottling my first batch of beer! When I went to wash all my equipment, I cleaned out my fermenter (I have a basic kit with the plastic bucket) and it is clean except the inside is stained with a yellowish color and after scrubbing I can't get it to go away. Is it ok that it is like this? I figured it was just stained from the batch that was just in it but I don't want it to affect my next batch of beer.

I just need to know that this is normal and won't hurt my future batches, thanks!

Sounds good thanks! That's what I thought but wanted to be 100% positive and figured this was the right place to ask. It seems clean, just a little more yellow than white now

Try oxyclean (the one without extra fragrances). It might not get the yellow out, but it does help get fermentors clean.

For best results buckets get replaced every 5-10 batches or so anyways. *shrug*

Plastic stains, it's just the nature of the beast. You want to make sure you sanitize it, but don't scrub it too hard, as the last thing you want to do is score it, as that would allow nasties to hide out in the gashes.

Soak it overnight in a bleach solution, 1 tbsp bleach per gallon. Empty, rinse really well, then soak again overnight in plain water to make sure you get as much of the chlorine out as possible. I do this every five batches or so in case any bug builds a Star-san resistance. I've had the same bottling bucket since I started brewing in 2007.

I would be careful, you say that you scrubbed it. With what? Any little scrathes that you may not be able to see could hide bacteria and kill your beer. never scrub, just let it soak.

If you scrub with something softer than plastic, you should be fine.

Sponge = okay.
Wire brush = not so much.

It's like tomato sauce in tupperware. It's a protien or enzyme that bonds with the plastic because it resembles something natural to it. So the color cant be "cleaned" off without scraping the surface off, and you dont want that!
In tupperware, spray some PAM or rub olive oil in there before you put the tomato sauce and voila, no stains. In fermenters? Enjoy the yellow and scent of brews past, lol.

Back