Bottle Carbing Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speranza

Reaction score
Hey HBT! Edit: meant this to be in General Beer Discussion. I must a got lost somewhere along the way.

I'm going to be bottling a batch here in a bit. I'm going to be using DME for the first time and am curious if that will affect the taste at all? It's a plain light DME? Can't remember the exact off the top of my head cause I'm at work.

The reason I ask is my brew is a bit bitter when I transfered to secondary. I understand that CO2 will change the PH and thus the taste a bit but was curious if DME will change it more than just plain priming sugar does? This brew isn't turning out the way I had expected, but thats the joy of brewing huh?

You've probably bottled already, so the answer is a bit late. But no, I've seen no change at all in bottling using priming sugar vs. DME. Neither leave a perceptible taste or anything like that.

Like Yooper Chick I've used both and haven't noticed a difference in taste. The amount of fermentables you are adding is so small compared to your beer its lost. I could imagine if you were making a really light coloured beer and used anything but extra light DME you might darken the beer slightly.

Back