will WYeast dme starter conflict with wort/beer characteristics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akardam

Reaction score
I'm planning to use for the first time liquid yeast to get my wort going. so i got a wyeast propagator. i'm thinking that if I put 2 litres of water with my light dry malt extract to start up the yeast and then insert it (when its ready after 2 days) to the rest of the wort (which is 18 litres), will it affect the end result of my beer tastewise? it's like i will be diluting my wort with this starter.. might be dumb question but had to ask.. what do you guys reckon?cheers..

People do it both ways. Some pitch the entire starter and others will chill the starter so all the yeast settles to the bottom that way they can decant most of the liquid before pitching the yeast.

Where did you calculate that you need a 2 liter starter? Unless you're making a pretty big beer or don't plan on touching your starter at all (no swirling, stirring, or anything at all) then 2 liters might be a little bit overkill.

If you haven't tried it already, check out the Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator. It can help you build the right size starter. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Are you sure you have the Propagator pack, and not the Activator? The Propagators are still available, but I haven't seen one in the US.

At any rate, whichever product you have (and which product it is will affect the size of the starter that's needed, so that's something to think about for next time) your best bet, IMHO, is to wait for the starter to finish fermenting and then cool it in a refrigerator for 24+ hours. This is called "crashing" the starter. After that, you'll have a nice compact yeast sediment, and you can pour the starter "beer" off the top of it, then pitch without having to worry about diluting your main batch.

Back