Pasteurizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristan1220

Reaction score
I've heard your supposed to pasteurize after carbonating. Is this true? How do I do it?

You only need to pasteurise if you are bottling a brew that still has lots of fermentable sugars and active yeast.

If you've allowed your cider to ferment to dry and you want to carb it, you just add the apropriate amount of priming sugar (there's heaps of priming calculators if you google).

If you want it sweet and carbed, THEN you need to look at pasteurisation.
If you want sweet and still you can either consider pasteurisation or using chemicals.

Depends on how strong you want it to bubble.
I'd suggest keeping it under 3 volumes personally, but a lot of people go from 2-2.5 volumes.

On the calculator you generally pick the co2 volumes (sometimes they list various styles of beer, but have the volumes in the description as well).
Enter the size of your batch (usually in gallons).
Then some ask for the temperature of your brew to determine how much co2 is currently dissolved.
You select what kind of sugar you are using.

Then it tells yu how much you will need for the whole batch. This is great if you're using a bottling bucket because you can disolve the sugar into a small amount of water, toss into the bucket, then syphon the cider on top of it and it'll mix itself as it fills up. This also ensures an even distribution of priming sugar throughout the batch.

Back