60-Shilling Scotch Ale - aging time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
hey guys,

i'm brewing up a batch of 60-shilling scotch ale for a competition in mid january - i was wondering what your thoughts would be on how long this beer should age? i'm thinking of brewing it in early december, letting it sit in primary for about 2-2 1/2 weeks and then sit in the keg in my cellar until a little over a week before the comp and then putting it on the co2 at serving temps.

would this be enough time, or too long, or not enough? it's going to be a fairly light brew with a pretty low gravity - abv around something like 3.4% although it does have a small amount of peat malt in it as well so i didn't know if that needed more time to mellow. i'd post the recipe right now if i weren't at work and had it on hand. :cross: maybe i'll try and post it later tonight.

any advice, thoughts, or opinions appreciated.

I would advise brewing earlier so your batch has more time to age and fill out the flavor profile.

I know that aging is a controversial topic on HBT, but I will swear by the difference even another month makes before busting out a new batch.

i always believe longer is better (that's what she said).. ;)

seriously though, aging isn't too controversial as compared to many other topics.. i think the majority of people on here will say that it is easier to have too short of time in a primary than too long of time in a primary.. since the gravity wont' be too high you don't need an excessive amount of time for fermentation, though i always prefer longer in the primary than it would take to fully carbonate the beer.. since you have time, give it 3 weeks in the primary, then another 2-3 in the keg to condition/carbonate and you should be all set!

Earlier this Fall, I brewed a batch of Walker's Gruagach 80/-, left it in the primary a month then bottled. It was good after two weeks in the bottle, and is better now after 5 weeks. If it keeps improving, it'll be amazing....

Back