What the hell is this??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmusedBystander

Reaction score
So I get home from work and out of curiosity I decide to look at my buckets even though I don't hear them bubbling anymore. I haven't looked at them in a few days, I brewed my wheat beer on Sunday. I open the chest and see this...

QwNoa.jpg

zOXkS.jpg

The airlock has no water in it and I don't know if this increases the likelihood of infection..

Should I just clean it and hope for the best? I guess that's all I can do right?

Looks like krausen plugged up your airlock and blew everything out... its normal and happens a lot. Just wipe everything down, re-sanitize and put everything back together and you'll be fine.

Looks like you had a blow off. Clean the airlock and the top of your fermenter and replace the airlock with some fresh water. It'll be fine. In the future try to check on it every so often during the initial fermentation, or just use a blow off hose.

It had to happen recently, because fermentation took off kinda slow, even though I blew pure O2 in there. It just really surprised me that it blew up like that several days after I pitched! I guess that's what I get for using the small bucket.

Doesn't infection become less likely once fermentation is done or almost done?

You are correct... alcohol and the pH drop makes the beer less likely to be contaminated once fermentation has started and even more so once fermentation has finished.

Yup you're fine. I've had a few blow offs like that and none of those batches got infected. If anything, a blow off like that is a sign of normal, vigorous fermentation, which is exactly what prevents minor bugs from infecting a batch.

Back