Sinamar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Ok, my Irish Stout grains (this is a partial mash) were steeped at lower than 155 due to a faulty thermometer. The end result is a wort that looks more like a Dark Brown Ale than an Irish Stout. Some say here that wort will darken some over time after the yeast drops, but I need a much darker color. I did some research and found that Sinamar will add the color I want without ruining the flavor. So, my question is how exactly to add it to my wort? I will wait until fermentation is finished (it is in day 3 and fermenting wonderfully through the blow-off tube), but I want to be careful of any oxidation when adding. Do I simply pour it into my carboy? If I do need to mix it, how do I do so without staling out the beer?

Ok, my Irish Stout grains (this is a partial mash) were steeped at lower than 155 due to a faulty thermometer. The end result is a wort that looks more like a Dark Brown Ale than an Irish Stout. Some say here that wort will darken some over time after the yeast drops, but I need a much darker color. I did some research and found that Sinamar will add the color I want without ruining the flavor. So, my question is how exactly to add it to my wort? I will wait until fermentation is finished (it is in day 3 and fermenting wonderfully through the blow-off tube), but I want to be careful of any oxidation when adding. Do I simply pour it into my carboy? If I do need to mix it, how do I do so without staling out the beer?

Steeping at less than 155 won't cause a light color, as you can even cold steep roasted barley! But anyway, you can steep some black grains and bring the liquor to a boil and then cool it and gently add it to the fermenter. I'd do it sooner, rather than later, as the beer is still producing co2 and you'd have less risk of oxidation.

Steeping at less than 155 won't cause a light color, as you can even cold steep roasted barley! But anyway, you can steep some black grains and bring the liquor to a boil and then cool it and gently add it to the fermenter. I'd do it sooner, rather than later, as the beer is still producing co2 and you'd have less risk of oxidation.

I don't know why I have such a light color, but I do want it darker for sure. I have already ordered the Sinamar. After reading some other threads on this subject, I believe I am just going to add the Sinamar to my sugar at bottling time and then gently stir after I add the wort on top. Some people like to stir and others do not, but I think I will be ok if I am careful.

I don't know why I have such a light color, but I do want it darker for sure. I have already ordered the Sinamar. After reading some other threads on this subject, I believe I am just going to add the Sinamar to my sugar at bottling time and then gently stir after I add the wort on top. Some people like to stir and others do not, but I think I will be ok if I am careful.

You mean, steep the sinamar, and then boil the solution, and then add the sugar to that? You MUST boil any liquid that touched grain, or you might as well through the whole batch in the trash.

What is the full recipie? I have done irish stouts with .25LB of black patent and it comes out as black as coal. Perhaps we can suggest grain adjustments for next time. What exactly is Smiinar? if it contributes color only, prehaps its a food coloring?

It is a Midwest Irish Stout kit.

6 lbs Dark LME
4 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Caramel 10L
4 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Flake
Nugget and Willamette hops
Gypsum

Sinamar is a concentrated solution from barley malt CARAFA. It is made by Weyermann and is used specifically for coloring with little to no taste added.

Yooper, I will add the Sinamar to my water/sugar solution and then boil it, cool it, and slowly stir as I add the wort on top.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Back