How late can I start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeverTime

Reaction score
I just bought a house, but I probably won't move in until the end of April. Is that too late to start growing hops for this season?

I live in Philadelphia.

I think you'll be ok. Might not produce much, but you should be able to get the plant established good enough to make it through the winter.

I don't think that's too late. I planted rhizomes last year in April and they did very well indeed - especially for first year plantings. And you're in a slightly warmer zone than I am.
ab_aug_26_2011_01_sm.jpg

Either way, I'd go ahead and do it, even later if need be. It's an investment, and most advise is to plan on the first year providing little if any yield anyway...

Cheers!

I live in aston just outside of philly I planted in early may last year and my hops are doing just fine!

you could consider getting a head-start by starting them off in pots:

order your rhizomes now. keep in fridge for a few weeks, then plant them in pots a few weeks before you're ready to put them in the ground. by the time planting day rolls around, you'll have plants that have already sprouted.

Back