Explanations for a dark color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJAX

Reaction score
I am new to this and just completed cooking up my second batch yesterday but something seemed odd... the color. I was cooking a pre-made mexican cerveza kit and was expecting it to be a light yellow color but when put in the primary fermenter it was more of a brown color. Is this just the kit I was using or is there something in the process that affects color? (The kit said it was a corona type beer)

That happened to me in the first batch i brewed, also from a kit i had bought.

I have found that it was because of the density, being in a large container, the color looked darker, and specially in my glass carboy, it looked a lot darker than i expected, but when i bottled it in those small bottles, i could see it wasnt as dark as it appeared.

Hope this will also be the case for you.

Extract beers, especially those made with liquid extract tend to be darker than an all grain beer...It's a common problem inherent in the making of the extract...There are several tricks to mitigate it...Do a search for "Late Extract Addition" and you will find the info you need.

Also switching from liquid to the lightest dry malt extract, will work as well...again if you search, you will find many tips and tricks to lighten your extract beers.

:D

Thanks I bet that it was the liquid malt extract. The first part used only grains and it was a golden yellow, but as soon as the liquid malt was added it went brown and stayed that way. Looks like I'll have to look into only using grain rather than a liquid malt. Thanks again!

Maybe you got some old malt extract? I use LME almost exclusively and have made some pretty light colored beers, I do always add it late in the boil though. It's also not canned, but fresh bulk extract from my LHBS.

Back