Help first partial grain attempt !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyC

Reaction score
I am going to try this partial grain brewing. I have read How To Brew by:John Palmer. A very good book might I add. What I want to know is when you pour the wort into the fermenter. For fementation do you add any corn sugar or any other sugar to the wort ? If yes how much would I add ?

CrazyC said:
I am going to try this partial grain brewing. I have read How To Brew by:John Palmer. A very good book might I add. What I want to know is when you pour the wort into the fermenter. For fementation do you add any corn sugar or any other sugar to the wort ? If yes how much would I add ?

No, just stick to the formula you've got.

I have been doing prehopped kits. And all of the kits that I have done call for 2lbs. of corn sugar. So the sugar from the malt will be enough for the yeast ? I know this may sound dumb to most. But it never says anything about adding sugar. In any partial or all grain recipe that I have seen

A vast majority of the sugars will be coming from whatever extract you use. If you decide on a recipe, feel free to post it and I'm sure we'll be glad to answer any specific questions you have.

Mid-West Mild Ale

Ingredients:
6 pounds, mild ale malt
4 ounces, chocolate malt
1--1/2 ounces, Fuggles (pellets) - boil
1/2 ounce, Fuggles (pellets) - finish
yeast

Procedure:
Bottled on day 13. At it's best fresh; weeks 3-6.
I believe the original gravity figure (which sugests more than 80%
efficiency) was in error. Around 1037 seems more likely.

Specifics:
O.G.: 1.040
F.G.: 1.014

I know this is an all grain recipe. But he homebrew shop said they could mix the extract up for me. This is the recipe I am going to use.

Looks good. Pre-hopped kits tell you to add sugar for two reasons: first, it increases the ABV (which seems a high priority for many beginners) and second, it lets them sell a cheaper kit, since you pay for the sugar.

All grain brews rarely use sugar, except for producing carbonation in the bottle. Belgians with their candy and brown sugar in barley wines are two major exceptions.

david_42 said:
Looks good. Pre-hopped kits tell you to add sugar for two reasons: first, it increases the ABV (which seems a high priority for many beginners) and second, it lets them sell a cheaper kit, since you pay for the sugar.

All grain brews rarely use sugar, except for producing carbonation in the bottle. Belgians with their candy and brown sugar in barley wines are two major exceptions.

Thanks thats the kind of answer I was looking for Im new to all this so I know some of the questions might sound a little dumb but hey we have to learn somewhere so why not learn from people that know what they are doing right!

You could easily switch out the grain for about 5 lbs of DME and get nice results. Looks like a nice, easy, tasty recipe. Brew on :D

Thanks to you all Im sure I will need more help along the way learning to do all this Its good to know that you can get help from others

Back