Carb Issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
I am currently on my 7th 5gallon batch of brew. It is an Orange Hefe made with real oranges.

Recipe:
6 lb light LME
1 lb light DME
1 oz cascade
1 oz willamet
4 oranges cut into chunks.
zest from 2 of said oranges

Ok here is the deal, I put all this in my carboy and let it ferment for about 5-6 weeks at apx. 70-80 degrees (in my garage). When I got gravity readings my og was 1.049 and fg was 1.011. The beer was very very clear when i bottled. It looked like it was filtered. Now it has been bottle conditioning for 3 weeks at roughly 73 degrees. I put 2 bottles in the fridge to cool for about 48 hours. When I pop the top, I get the hiss that is normal and then when I pour it into a clean glass, there is absolutely no head. it tastes really good but does not have much if any carbonation. I did a test bottle at 2 weeks and that one showed more carbonation than the ones at 3 weeks.

Did I wait too long to bottle? Did I let too much yeast settle in the carboy? Am I just being to impatient?

When bottling, I made sure to use 4oz of priming sugar. boiled and cooled, and stirred it while the beer was transferring to the bottling bucket. This is the first batch that this has happened.

let me know what you guys think

Thanks

Seems like it should be carbed up fine. Did you continue to stir every once in a while during bottling or just once at the beginning? You should have plenty of yeast to carbonate, I've had beers that sat for 6 months carb up just fine. Did you dissolve the sugar in water/boil before adding it to the bottlign bucket? If not you may have gotten more sugar in the first few bottles and less in the last few. I'd put another in the fridge for 1-2 days and give it a try.

I used 4oz priming sugar. Boiled and then cooled. Stirred the entire time the beer was siphoning into bottling bucket.

Back