A couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
Well its pretty much just one question, will it work. I plan on brewing a Brewers Best Holiday Ale this weekend so I will have it ready in time for the holidays. I got a new tirkey fryer and I plan on using that for the first time. Even though the pot will accomodate 7 1/2 gallons, I only plan on boiling 2 gallons of wort and then diluting it with three gallons of water as usual. My first three batches were chilled in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. Since I dont have an immersion chiller, I plan on boiling the 2 gallons as usual and then add 3 gallons of cold water from my freezer. I am going to put a 3 gallon bottle of water in the freezer before I start brewing. I think that will be cold enough. So do you think this will work or am I missing something?

I feel pretty strongly that full boils produce better beer.

if you can use a bathtub for an ice/water bath, you can still cool 5 gallons in a reasonable time frame.

otherwise your proposed method will work, but you may still need an ice bath. fluid thermodynamics don't work how you might think. 3 gallons of 50 degree water and 2 gallons of 200+ degree wort will likely still have you at 100F...too hot to pitch yeast.

malkore said:
otherwise your proposed method will work, but you may still need an ice bath. fluid thermodynamics don't work how you might think. 3 gallons of 50 degree water and 2 gallons of 200+ degree wort will likely still have you at 100F...too hot to pitch yeast.

Actually it works really well.

I used to do it with my partial boils...1.5 - 2 gallons in the kettle and the rest in the freezer. The top off water would be near freezing and you get pitching temps instantly, no other chilling necessary.

Latest posts

Back