Ooohh that smell. - What am I smelling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
The last two batches I have done have been pretty big beers coming in around 1.08. I have let them ferment in the primary for a week before transferring to a carboy to condition for 2 weeks. During transfer to the secondary there is a seriously harsh smell coming off of the beer in the primary. I can't really explain it other than it kind of singes my nose hairs.

After conditioning for 2 weeks and then bottling for 3, the smell is not there anymore. So what is it I'm smelling exactly? Is it the alcohol that hasn't mellowed yet or other chemical biproducts from fermentation?

Sounds like the burning sensation I feel when I reach into my fermentation freezer and get a lungful of fresh CO2.

1.08 is a pretty big beer. Might wanna consider leaving it primary for longer than a week next time.

It's the CO2. That burning is carbonic acid that forms on your mucous membranes when the CO2 contacts the moisture. It might burn your eyes a little, too.

I also agree about leaving those big beers in the primary for longer.

TL

DeathBrewer said:
seriously a good idea for big beers. and get a hydrometer...don't just rely on your time.

I have a hydrometer. I don't rack it until it's done fermenting.

Pop a can of 7-up and pour it in a glass and stick your nose down there.

Same basic (choking) effect, but without the nice fart smells that are in your wort.

Beerthoven said:
1.08 is a pretty big beer. Might wanna consider leaving it primary for longer than a week next time.

I just brewed up a 1.085, and at six days in the primary, "vigorous" fermentation has ended... however, there's still an inch-thick layer of krausen foam and the blowoff tube is bubbling every ten seconds or so.

I'm guessing it will take another week to get the bubbling down to once per minute.

Back