Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would distillers yeast work for skeeter pee? I am considering using it and possibly freeze fortifying.

Get yourself a big bottle of ibuprofen to go along with it because that's some nasty stuff there; no need to be conjuring up that sort of monster. If you want to get drunk on skeeter pee, a couple liters is enough because it's already strong as white wine.

Oh, we got sunshine yesterday! I went down to the sauna and fetched a gallon jug of skeeter pee, put up the umbrella in the back yard and cranked up the AC-DC while grilling some octopus and saganaki.

For my first batch of Skeeter Pee:
- 96oz 100% Lemon Juice
- Energizer/Nutrient according to bottle for 5 gallons
- Water/Sugar to 1.082
- Pitched 3/21

- Rack to secondary 4/16
- When clear, 6 cups white normal sugar for backsweetening

Last night (7/6) was my very first tasting of it. I have to say the sweetness and abv is perfect. However, the lemon flavor isn't there (just slightly on the trail end). Is it safe to say that next time I should use concentrate for backsweetening? How much? Is a mix of 2-3 concentrates + additional sugar necessary?

I was suggested to use d47 yeast in my skeeter pee by my local homebrew shop. I made a starter but it still took 4-5 days to really take off and start bubbling the airlock. So was this a bad choice? Not sure when to check for the 1.050 Mark. Just started really bubbling last night. What would happen if I pitch some ex-1118 in now? Thanks

Don't worry about adding another yeast. Different yeast types do not like each other and often try to kill each other off. D47 can make a good SP. If you let the lees build up and let it sit on the lees a month or so then D47 should accentuate the lemony flavors. Only bad thing with D47 is that you want it to ferment on the cool side. It easily throwes fusel alcohols if temps are over 70*F.

If it is fermenting then do not worry. Give it another day or two then check the gravity for your next nutrient/lemon addition. If needed strap some ice bags with towels to keep it cool and just be ok with a nice long slow fermentation. You should not regret it once the batch is finished.

Thanks! I finally checked my gravity last night and it was at 1.032. My SG was 1.065 but I added a little extra sugar to my starter since I didn't have a slurry. So I added my 3rd bottle of lemon juice and the nutrients and energizer and whipped it with a sanitized disk. No sulfur smell yet.

Anybody try this in their SP? Or this for back-sweetening?

1404949802417.jpg

1404949835657.jpg

I just racked my skeeter pee into secondary with the k meta, sorbate and sparkolloid. I have about a gallon of headspace. Is this too much? I am worried that I am going to ruin this stuff.

I did have a pint of it though, and now I have a drunken mind.

If you add finnings now then in 24-48 hours you can bottle and it will be fine. If not using finnings or it will be a bit before bottling then you may want to top up with another wine or rack again into smaller container(s).

Started my first batch of SP on the weekend. Never brewed anything before this. Used 2 bottle or RealLemon and EC1118 yeast. Followed a combo of directions found (making the yeast starter with apple juice in a clean sani beer bottle and adding SP must to fill the bottle as the yeast builds it's acceptance of the acidity). Had to add a lot more than 16 cups of sugar to get the SG to 1.070 - like 6 more cups - is that normal?? Anyways, the plastic bucket (covered with towel) is bubbling away (thick foam on the top every time I look), mixing it well twice a day (AM and PM) to incorporate lots of oxygen. After 2 days the SG is at 1.056. When do I add the 3rd bottle of lemon and the extra nutrient and energizer (some directs say @ 1.020 and others say @ 1.050)? Do I continue to whip it every day or do I let it settle for a few days before racking to the first carboy and putting it under airlock (to let some of the trub settle)?
Thanks!

You can probably go ahead and add the juice and nutrients this evening. When just about 1/3rd the fermentation is complete and the yeast are at their most active is when you add the extra stuff. That way the extra acid addition has less of a chance to stall the wine.

While it twice daily for a week or until it hits about 1.020 on the gravity. Then let it sit till you get some sediment on the bottom and feel free to rack then. The trick is just to not let fermentation finish and allow CO2 to escape the bucket and oxygen start to oxidize the wine.

Anybody try this in their SP? Or this for back-sweetening?

I've done a Cherry Limeaide SP before, but theres an easier and cheaper way than organic Limeade: Just substitute Real Lime juice for the Real Lemon.
I've never felt the need to backsweeten mine with more lemon or lime flavor, the three bottles on the front end give it plenty of pucker for my liking. I'd rather backsweeten with sugar and/or other sweet fruits to balance out the tartness. Likewise with White Grapefruit SP, using tart juice to backsweeten leads to a SP that is too intense, not prefereable to Berry, Cherry, other sweet flavors. Hence why im halfway through drinking second batch of Mixed Berry, while still some Grapefruit bottles from first batch still lingering.

When I made my Cherry Lime, i used 3 bottle of Real Lime, but found it to be TOO limey. If I were to do over again, I would make a lemon-lime with only 1 or 2 bottles of Lime. Trust me, the lime flavor comes through

when you make invert sugar, you're usually adding table sugar (sucrose) and converting it to a mix of glucose/fructose, so if I add dextrose (glucose) instead, I can skip this process ya?

If you add finnings now then in 24-48 hours you can bottle and it will be fine. If not using finnings or it will be a bit before bottling then you may want to top up with another wine or rack again into smaller container(s).

Thanks. I added the finings about 24 hours ago and it seems very clear already. I may rack, backsweeten and top up with water. It seemed very strong when I drank it last night, and with my plan to bottle in 1 liter bottles, it may end up being just fine a little watered down.

when you make invert sugar, you're usually adding table sugar (sucrose) and converting it to a mix of glucose/fructose, so if I add dextrose (glucose) instead, I can skip this process ya?

I guess it depends on what you are using the sugar for. If you are using the dextrose for fermentation then yeah dextrose would be a great substitute for invert sugar. If you are using invert sugar for back sweetening then I definitely use invert sugar, which I recommend. The fructose is much sweeter than sucrose. I think the reasoning for the recipe calling for invert sugar is the assumption you are getting everything from the grocery store minus the yeast.

I guess it depends on what you are using the sugar for. If you are using the dextrose for fermentation then yeah dextrose would be a great substitute for invert sugar. If you are using invert sugar for back sweetening then I definitely use invert sugar, which I recommend. The fructose is much sweeter than sucrose. I think the reasoning for the recipe calling for invert sugar is the assumption you are getting everything from the grocery store minus the yeast.

Are we suposed to use inverted sugar to backsweeten? None of the recipes I have seen call for that - they just say to backsweeten with 6 cups of sugar and stir to disolve.

Are we suposed to use inverted sugar to backsweeten? None of the recipes I have seen call for that - they just say to backsweeten with 6 cups of sugar and stir to disolve.

No need. Think of inverting sugar as a means to make the environment more suitable for fermentation. After you make your yeast dormant with your kmeta etc., all thats left is backsweetening... just like adding sugar to a cup of coffee.

No need. Think of inverting sugar as a means to make the environment more suitable for fermentation. After you make your yeast dormant with your kmeta etc., all thats left is backsweetening... just like adding sugar to a cup of coffee.

Theoretically you could use less invert sugar though since it tastes sweeter than regular sugar. But I am lazy and never bother making invert unless it is specifically for fermentation.

Theoretically you could use less invert sugar though since it tastes sweeter than regular sugar. But I am lazy and never bother making invert unless it is specifically for fermentation.

And really... store brand sugar is pretty cheap anyway...

Will a smaller batch (or partial batch) clear faster (with finings) that the full 5 gallon carboy? Reason for asking is that I would really like some of this for an upcoming vacation. I would like about 2 gallons to take with us (3 1/2 weeks) and it is currently bubbling away in the secondary with an SG of 1.018 - dropping about .005 per day.Just not sure that under 2 weeks after adding the finings will clear it enough to bottle and was thinking that a smaller volume would go faster?

Will a smaller batch (or partial batch) clear faster (with finings) that the full 5 gallon carboy? Reason for asking is that I would really like some of this for an upcoming vacation. I would like about 2 gallons to take with us (3 1/2 weeks) and it is currently bubbling away in the secondary with an SG of 1.018 - dropping about .005 per day.Just not sure that under 2 weeks after adding the finings will clear it enough to bottle and was thinking that a smaller volume would go faster?

I don't think a smaller batch would clear any faster. Mine was clear 48 hours after adding sparkelloid. So your time frame should work out fine.

Smaller batch should not clear any faster. At least they don't in my experience. But if you use bentonite correctly it will clear overnight just about. Bentonite is really hard to mix up well prior to adding to must. I boil a cup of water and then quickly add that to a blender. Plop in a couple TBS of bentonite and blend it starting slow and progressively faster for 2-3 minutes. Then add that soup to the carboy and I can almost watch the SP clear. There will be this grey cloud slowly falling and all above it is crystal clear.

Just wait till this gets under 1.000 gravity. Rack it, degas it. Add Camden and sorbate. Wait 24 hours. Rack again if needed and back sweeten. Then add the bentonite and it should be clear in no time.

OK - my large carboy seems to be 'stuck' at SG 1.020. The airlock is still bubbling away (about 1 bubble every 5 seconds) for the last 2 days, but the SG has not changed.
My smaller gallon jug (from the same primary fermenter) has dropped to an SG of 1.010 and the airlock is only bulling about 1 every 20 seconds.
Do I just let it keep working and check every few days? Is there anything I should do (extra nutrient, energizer, etc.)?
The temp of the room is about 23C (73F) so that should be just right?

OK - my large carboy seems to be 'stuck' at SG 1.020. The airlock is still bubbling away (about 1 bubble every 5 seconds) for the last 2 days, but the SG has not changed.
My smaller gallon jug (from the same primary fermenter) has dropped to an SG of 1.010 and the airlock is only bulling about 1 every 20 seconds.
Do I just let it keep working and check every few days? Is there anything I should do (extra nutrient, energizer, etc.)?
The temp of the room is about 23C (73F) so that should be just right?

Temp is not the problem. Ive fermented SP anywhere from 55-75 and all came out fine. The recipe calls for a second addition of nutrient and energizer (to avoid stuck fermentations),before transferring to secondary. I would do this if you haven't already (1.020 is def not too late).

The fact that its still bubbling away is a good sign, just give the yeast some time. Sometimes the yeast takes a little bit to pick up again after you transfer to secondary. I would advise leaving both alone for a week or so until they stop bubbling. Opening it up too frequently starts creating risks of oxidation, especially as fermentation finishes up and doesn't crank out as much CO2 to fill headspace.

As far as why one is stuck and ones not, if you transferred to the big secondary first and then the gallon jug got the stuff from the bottom of primary, it likely had more yeast in it which caused it to ferment faster than big one.

I know its easy to get worried about our batches, but Skeeter Pee is hard to mess up unless you rush it, and EC 1118 is very hungry stuff, so RDWHAHB.

Couldn't believe it, used yeast slurry safale s-04 from my first 5 gallon Pee to start another batch and 6 days in already at 1.010! Started at 1.070. Think its time to add rest of juice, energizer and nutrient lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Couldn't believe it, used yeast slurry safale s-04 from my first 5 gallon Pee to start another batch and 6 days in already at 1.010! Started at 1.070. Think its time to add rest of juice, energizer and nutrient lol!

LoL. Yea using a good yeast slurry beats out rehydrated yeast or yeast in a 2 hour starter.

How did S-04 do for your first batch? I have not used an ale yeast with SP before. Any tasting notes you think are specific to S-04 or does the lemon overpower everything.

My one and only batch so far I used a yeast cake from a ginger iipa with safale us05 and I couldn't taste it. I thought for sure I would at least taste the ginger but I didn't.

I bought stuff for two more batches of this and was going to use the yeast cakes from my ten gallon batch of beer that's split in two carboys but it went bad and I had to dump it so I am going to have to research a starter our else wait until I brew something else.

I bought stuff for two more batches of this and was going to use the yeast cakes from my ten gallon batch of beer that's split in two carboys but it went bad and I had to dump it so I am going to have to research a starter our else wait until I brew something else.

I took my starters from 3 day old batches of cider. Worked like a charm, just draw out 5 liters and replace with 5 liters of new apple juice.

Skeeter Pee isn't rocket science, but it will knock you on your ass faster than you can say cheese.

Just whipped up a batch of this last night, used the original recipe except with EC1118 yeast since I didn't have a yeast cake to use.

One problem is that I got ahead of myself and rehydrated and pitched the yeast before I saw that you're supposed to let it sit for a day or two before pitching. Is that going to be a major problem? It seems to be active in the bucket right now, so I think it's OK, but what do I know, Im new to beer, and this is my first wine type beverage i've attempted.

If it's bubbling it should be fine. Just make sure you add your nutrient and energizer in a few days and you should be good to go

LoL. Yea using a good yeast slurry beats out rehydrated yeast or yeast in a 2 hour starter.

How did S-04 do for your first batch? I have not used an ale yeast with SP before. Any tasting notes you think are specific to S-04 or does the lemon overpower everything.

I use safale s-04 for my ciders and it's all I had. My first batch is sitting in Carboy clearing right now, then gonna back sweeten with a bit more lemon juice and sugar as the lemon is almost non existent after taste test. Not sure it that's from the safale but it's a good chance it killed the lemon flavor..Will try ec118 next time to compare. Will update in a week after bottling.

I use safale s-04 for my ciders and it's all I had. My first batch is sitting in Carboy clearing right now, then gonna back sweeten with a bit more lemon juice and sugar as the lemon is almost non existent after taste test. Not sure it that's from the safale but it's a good chance it killed the lemon flavor..Will try ec118 next time to compare. Will update in a week after bottling.

Back sweeten first before adding more lemon juice, the sugar will bring out the lemon flavor.

Ok I'm at the stage where I killed the yeast and cleared it. Time to back-sweeten. I racked from primary to secondary when I added the kmeta and sparkkloid. Do I really need to rack to a third carboy to back-sweeten? Or could I back-sweeten right befor bottling? Thanks guys!

Hmmm interesting. I would suggest adding sugar first and tasting before adding more lemon. The sugar will bring some flavor forward and "real lemon" lemon juice adds little to no sweetness so if you need it then it will not over sweeten the wine.

Ok I'm at the stage where I killed the yeast and cleared it. Time to back-sweeten. I racked from primary to secondary when I added the kmeta and sparkkloid. Do I really need to rack to a third carboy to back-sweeten? Or could I back-sweeten right befor bottling? Thanks guys!

Honestly, you could do it either way and it would probably be fine. However,w aiting a few weeks after backsweetening does several things:

1) Makes sure fermentation has totally stopped. Sometimes, even though you "killed the yeast" with sorbates and kmeta, a little bit survives and starts eating the new sugar youve backsweetened with. If you bottled right away after backsweetening, you could have popped corks down the road.

2) It gives time for the rest of the yeast to drop out of suspension, and the SP to clarify. When I made several batches of SP on a time crunch and it didnt clarify totally, it had a little of a yeasty taste in it, and particulate matter that floated on the bottom. I t kinda bothers me when my wines arent clear, so I dont rush this recipe anymore.

Its up to you, but if you are getting anxious for your wine to be done, you could just do what I do: Make beer while you wait on the wine :D

But do I need to transfer to another better bottle to add the sugar? Don't I need to somewhat shake it up once I've added the sugar? That would shake up the yeast and particals in the bottom.
And I gots plenty of homebrew in da cabinet. In no hurry just wanna do it right. :thumbup:

Wow, you guys were right Chef and Arpolis. The sugar really brought out the lemon flavor. I think 6 cups sugar is a bit too much though. A little to sweet for my liking as of now. Bottling tonight and gonna let sit for a week before drinking. I'm sure when it's cold, it'll be a different experience anyways.

On the left went by the book and cleared beautifully after 9 days. On the right I used no sorbate or sparkaloid as I am going to carbonate a few bottles and wanted to test the clearing method as I have never done before. Results are obvious!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406598051.506669.jpg

Wow, you guys were right Chef and Arpolis. The sugar really brought out the lemon flavor. I think 6 cups sugar is a bit too much though. A little to sweet for my liking as of now. Bottling tonight and gonna let sit for a week before drinking. I'm sure when it's cold, it'll be a different experience anyways.

On the left went by the book and cleared beautifully after 9 days. On the right I used no sorbate or sparkaloid as I am going to carbonate a few bottles and wanted to test the clearing method as I have never done before. Results are obvious!

View attachment 214151

I don't think mine would have been drinkable with the third bottle of lemon juice let alone more! In fairness I used the Kroger brand, but for concentrated lemon juice it makes OK lemonade with the ReaLemon recipe so it's at least similar. I think with a third bottle of lemon juice in the batch I made it would have stripped the enamel off anyone's teeth that dared drank it! I wonder if this has anything to do with the wine lees it was made on, or lack thereof? I made mine after a Reserve Du Chateau 4 Week Wine Kit, Italian Verdicchio, I got from Amazon on a sale for $35 (don't laugh I'm not a white wine fan, but this is really good at about 4 months!).

In another batch of SP I believe I'd cut back on the sugar by a cup or so for back sweetening, it's a little too syrupy...

Latest posts

Back