Belgian candy syrup amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote

Reaction score
have a recipe that calls for some sugar adjunct, and would like to substitute liquid Belgian Candy Syrup (amber) for a 1/2 lb of the adjunct sugar.

anyone know the conversion?

thanks.

you'd have to do an PPPG comparison... i think belgian candi syrup is about 1.040 a pound... depending on the sugar it calls you should be able to.

What type of sugar and amount does the original recipe call for?

appreciate the reply, DeadYeti.

it's a Belgian Strong Ale and calls for 2 lbs. of sugar.

I wanted to use 1.5 lbs of jaggery or Demarera and 1/2 lb. worth of syrup. I believe the syrup said it adds 1.032 ppg.

I don't know how many ppg's the Demarera (most likely to be used) adds.

Promash entries, fairly close....

Demerara - 1.041
Dextrose - 1.046
Cane Sugar - 1.046

Does it just call for sugar as in table sugar, as in straight sucrose? That's kinda nasty. You could go with a whole pound of belgian candi and be fine

2 lb of straight corn sugar (or cane same PPPG) in 5 gallons gives 1.018 grav
1 1/2 Demerara and 1/2 Belgian gives you 1.015, so that would work a pound of belgian candi syrup gives you 1.019... so you're good to go, or should be... It's not like it would be way too much.
1lb Demerara and 1.5 Belgian Candi gives you 1.018 exact.

Anyway, you should be good. Changing from regular table sugar to different sugars will give it a different profile and taste. (Probably for the better)

Thanks, DeadYeti!

the recipe calls for 1.33 lbs. table sugar and 0.67 lbs of "specialty" sugars like Demarera (sp?), piloncillo, jaggery, etc.

The last time I brewed these ales, I went the other way and used 1.5 lbs of demarera and 0.5 lbs. Belgian candi rock to make the two lbs. total. Those two brews turned out well, but I wanted to try the Belgian candy SYRUP this time.

appreciate the help!

Back