Lager not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zx2tuner

Reaction score
Using a kit from BB continental pilsner. pitched dry lager yeast on sunday 2/2 and checked the gravity 2/10. which has not moved since og-1.044. primary is sitting in a 57F room. I called the LBHS and he said to just let it go. Any suggestions?

Using a kit from BB continental pilsner. pitched dry lager yeast on sunday 2/2 and checked the gravity 2/10. which has not moved since og-1.044. primary is sitting in a 57F room. I called the LBHS and he said to just let it go. Any suggestions?

For a lager at that specific gravity, looks like 3.5 packs of dry yeast is the recommended amount. Sounds like you may have just pitched 1, if so, I'd pitch a few more. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html#%22

You definitely underpitched. Lager yeasts at low temps need a big starter to get going. You'll either need to pitch 3 more packs of yeast or get one more pack of yeast and some DME and make about a 1 liter starter.

Yes just the one pack that was included in the kit. Sounds like information is much better on here. Thanks!

Definitely go with a starter. You'll be glad you did. Nothing bad will happen to you beer in the fermenter while you wait for the starter to mature.

Back