Potential Gravity for Tapioca starch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like tapioca, but it's interesting.

I saw a show on the Yanamama indians of S. America where they harvested tapioca and somehow came up with a 13 step process that detoxifies the tapioca for consumption. I wonder how many people died before they got it right? I wonder still why didn't they stop after it killed the second person?

Strange.... :confused:

I mashed soem barley flakes, rye flakes and Tapioca starch with a few litres of pale LME to provide the enzymes. Single infusion.

Even giving an effeciency of 75%, my OG is .003 over what Promash says it should be.

A) Should it even be that efficient since I was using LME for the enzymes.
B) If so then How bloody high an PG does tapioca starch have??

2 things happend during the mash. I miscalclated my water temp so I was in the 148 - 150 F range for about 40 minutes. Kept adding to little an amount of hot water trying to bring it up. Eventually my levels were getting high so I took out about a gallon of liquid from the mash tun and heated that up to about 200F then added that back to the mash. That brought me up to about 163F, SO I left it like that for another 1.5 hours till it dropped down to 145F.

Here's my ingredients. (the 1.5 lbs corn suger were added by accident. Originally I wasn't going to add the rye or barley flakes etc, so I thought I'd add a bit of CS. I wasn;t thinking and I dumped the measured bag in, plus it was the one measured 1.5 lbs, not 1 lb) :cross:

The PG for the Tapioca is a random guess since I had to enter something into Promash.

I'm reading 1.075 OG (Corrected for temp)

Code:
Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 66.3     6.75 lbs. Pale Ale LME                 Canada        1.036      2
  5.3     0.54 lbs. Flaked Rye                    America        1.034      2
  9.2     0.94 lbs. Flaked Barley                 America        1.032      2
 14.7     1.50 lbs. Corn Sugar                    Generic        1.046      0
  4.4     0.45 lbs. Tapioca Starch                               1.046      0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  0.50 oz.    Czech Saaz                        Pellet   3.50   7.1  60 min.
  0.50 oz.    Hallertauer                       Pellet   4.00   8.1  60 min.
  0.50 oz.    Tettnanger                        Pellet   4.50   9.1  60 min.
  0.50 oz.    Czech Saaz                        Pellet   3.50   1.4  10 min.
  0.50 oz.    Hallertauer                       Pellet   4.00   1.6  10 min.
  0.50 oz.    Tettnanger                        Pellet   4.50   1.8  10 min.
  0.25 oz.    Czech Saaz                        Pellet   3.50   0.6  2 min.
  0.25 oz.    Hallertauer                       Pellet   4.00   0.7  2 min.
  0.25 oz.    Tettnanger                        Pellet   4.50   0.8  2 min.

Brother, unless your LME was a diastic malt extract, you didn't convert the starches and you're going to end up with a really cloudy brew.

I misread your earlier response to my question about rye flakes since I said in that post I have no access to grains right now, and didn't see your reply until too late.

So there are no enzymes in Pale LME? (United Canadian Malt). $hit!! Any recourse?

Denny's Brew said:
According to this: Malts

The pale ale malt should be diastic.

Yes, Pale malt, not pale LME. The enzymes are denatured in the cooking down of the malt extract.

Now if that is the pale malt extract you used, then enzymes were added back into it after cooling and it did accomplish the mashing you were trying to acheive. That's why it's termed Diastic.

Seems to me the only thing tapioca would do in a mash is help get it stuck. I can't think of a reason to even use it....help me out here?

I think flaked wheat or barley would do the exact same thing.

You propably have a high gravity from unconverted starches. Flaked barley, flaked rye and tapioca all provide starch to the wort, but no enzymes. Unless your extract says it is diastic, it probably isn't as adding back enzymes costs money.

Expect a high final gravity and a hazy ale. There really isn't anything you can do about the starch at this point. This is a long streach, but papaya enzymes claims to contain Alpha-amylase. Or maybe just some fresh papaya would do the trick.

Well it was United Canadian Malt Ltd. Pale Ale LME bought in bulk. Accroding to the link above it's supposed to be diastic. I'm trying to find out for sure.

I did a starch test before the boil, when I droped the iodine in it stayed the same color, but after a few minutes it gradually turned purpleish. Just the drop of iodine, nit the whole solution. I didn't mix it up. I did another test but mixed it up. It stayed the same color then gradually went darker over a minute or two period.

What normally happens?

Well, if this turns out being starchy, at least it was good practice for methodology for doing an AG. I've already figured out a few problems with my work flow.

If it seems starchy I might try and find some alpha-amylase.

If it is Distic LME, was 6.75 lbs of it enough to convert all that starch?

Well Before the call from Canadian United I thought I had an incomplete conversion and added soem amylase and put the glass carboy in a large bucket with a spigot and circulated hot water around it until internal temp rasied to 150F. Nottingham was now dead so I pritched some EC1118 I ahd layeing around since it was late and I couldn't get anything else for two more days.

Beer finished at 1.005 from 1.075. Yikes. Tad higher A/V than I was planning for. Luckiliy it's well hopped so I'll probably dilute it with another 2.5 gallons of water at bottling time.

Now I'm not sure whether the OG is anylonger accurate due to further enzyeme actions. I suspect that, even though the LME was a Diastic malt, that there wasn;t enough enzymes to convert all the starches, particurily the Tapioca starch, as I could taste it a bit in a sample I took just before adding the amaylase. Post amylase and the taste was gone and the iodine test seemed ok.

homebrewer_99 said:
I don't like tapioca, but it's interesting.

I saw a show on the Yanamama indians of S. America where they harvested tapioca and somehow came up with a 13 step process that detoxifies the tapioca for consumption. I wonder how many people died before they got it right? I wonder still why didn't they stop after it killed the second person?

Strange.... :confused:
Another one is how did some Native American realize that if you chewed on willow bark it would help a toothache go away. I guess those medicine men had quite a bit of time on their hands.

Best to eat it for dessert! Few cups of milk, an egg or two, some brown sugar and a splash of Vanilla essence. Just like Ma used to make!

Back