Do you search before posting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew it! I'm surrounded by A**holes! Keep firing, A**holes!

darkhelmet.jpg

Normally I would not comment on this but I think the "vets" to whom some get their answers from are a bit over the top and quite harsh on new brewer questions. A few in particular think it's a bother or a burden to answer a beginner's question. Really?? Then don't answer it. As a new brewer a few years ago I came to this great forum to learn from those more experienced than I was at the time. Do me and all these newbs a favor "vets"..... If you can't answer a newbs question with a positive attitude and in an effort to help that new brewer do us a favor and don't post a reply. If your time is that valuable that you get mad about answering a question more than once just don't reply. Let one of the other "vets" who has a better attitude answer it instead.

Most forums are difficult to search for specific terms, especially if they are as large and busy as this one.

There's a relatively unknown google search technique you can use to search for any term on any specific website you want to search. If you find yourself trying to find info that you know you read on a specific site but can't remember exactly where, use this in the google search box:
site:websitename goes here "search term goes here". Note that there is no space after the site: and you do not need the http:// and you only need the quotes if there is more than one word in the term you are searching for.

As an example to find "bilge pump" on this site I would enter
site:homebrewtalk.com "bilge pump" and google returns all and only listings with that term from only the homebrewtalk.com site. You can change the website name and search on any other website using the same technique.

I use this when I'm looking to buy an item instead of working my way through some vendor websites. Let's face it, not all of them are intuitive or user friendly.

I'm a newbie here and just trying to give a little back for all I have learned here so far.

What I've always done (here and at other message boards), is search in a particular sub-forum, instead of doing a general search over the entire forums if I have an idea of what I'm looking for. The boards here have a "search this forum" feature at the for right above the top topic. This is helpful if you know what section to look in. You can even search within a specific thread, if that particular thread is pretty lengthy. This reduces redundant searches in unrelated areas that's unrelated to what you're looking for.

One thing I don't like about searching here, is there's no way to search by "author" or include a member's name within the advance search option. The advance search option is really no different than the Google search bar at the top of the home page (or any page you're currently viewing) Let's say you remember reading about a kick ass beer recipe that someone like (to throw a name out) Yooper made. You can't remember the name, but you know that Yooper was the one who made that particular post. By being able to streamline a search to also include "posts made by", you'll have better success and less pages to sift through to find what you're looking for.

Back