Help with Dry Stout / US-05 - Stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello there.

There's the recipe for my 40 liters batch of Dry Stout:
Grain bill:
Pilsen 5.5 kg - 65.6%
Barley (Flaked) 1.75 kg - 20.9%
Barley (Roasted) 1 kg - 11.9%
Acidulated 0.14 kg - 1.7%

Mash Schedule:
25min @ 122ºF
60min @ 154ºF

Hop Additions:
Magnum 40g - 60 min
Tettnanger 20g - 25 min
Tettnanger 20g - 10 min

Now the problem:
In Brazil we have problems finding the right ingredients, so I went with 2 packs of US-05 that I had for a While, the "use before" date in the package was April 2011.

I proofed the yeast, wich made a nice, thick little Krausen within 20 minutes. so I thought that was not spoiled, then I pitched. the OG was 1.050 - I expected 1.045 @ 75%eff.

The lag time was about 6 hours, and it bubbled violently for 2 days @ 70º-72ºF, by the end of the third day, it was done bubbling. It took another 2 days for the krausen to fall back, and now - more than a week later - I got an SG of 1.020

Now the help:
Do you think that's done fermenting? It still looks really hazy/cloudy - but tastes really good, no signs of infection, autolisys or anything likely.

Should I pitch more yeast? I have a bunch of Nottingham hanging around that is all still good - That's all I can get for now.

Any thoughts?

Thank You guys

It's stopped a bit short, I would have expected around 1.010-1.012. The 154F mash is a bit high for a "dry stout", I would have gone with 150-151F.

Is it possible that you didn't aerate your wort quite well enough?

Also, is there a reason why you used acidulated malt in a stout? Usually it's used more for lighter/paler beers, as a means to regulate the mash pH.

M_C

I have just read from szamatulski that a little acidulated (under 2%) would give that slightly sour taste of guiness, so I tried it out.

Good point on aeration... I certainly didn't do a good job aerating this wort. It was my first brew with my new set-up (40L) so when I got 20L out of the kettle, I tossed it violently from bucket to bucket for 15 minutes and split 10l for each bucket, after that I just topped-off each bucket. I got an aeration stone, but my pump failed on me...

Ok, now the mash temp. it was a last minute ******* thought - trying to add body to a "Dry" Stout. that was stupid I admitt, but do you think @1.020 all fermentables are gone?
You think I should just wait another week to clear out a little and bottle it? I don't want exploding bottles in mykitchen.. LOL

Thx

I would definitely give it more time. Take another gravity reading in a few days, or if you can wait a week. If it still at 20 then it is either stuck or done depending on how you want to look at it.

You can add body to a stout by using caramel/crystal malt, which increases non-fermentables, or using cara-pils. The crystal does take it away from "dry" somewhat, though.

In a standard stout, I like to use:

72% pale malt
6% Crystal 80
6% Chocolate
12% Roasted Barley
3% Black Patent

(there's rounding off in there).

If I want it drier or sweeter, I'll adjust the mash temp from 149F (dry) to 154F (sweet).

M_C

Now I got the idea. I've been doing mini mashes for a while now, but I'm new to the all grain game. I originaly planned making a "real" Dry Stout, and then a new batch with more likely what you have suggested for specialty. Only difference here is what I can actually get in BR. Pale Ale is too expensieve for us, so we use - always - national pilsen malt for base.
I can get carahell, carafa, carapils, special-b, caravienne, caramucnich, etc. basically only weyermann malts. It is the only imported available for us.

But anyways, my main question now is:
Is it done fermenting @ 1.020 because I mashed at a too high a temperature?
Is that fact alone enough to bring my FG from 1.010 to 1.020?
Should I just RDWHAHB and bottle in a couple of weeks or should I try and do something about it?

Thanks again...

Now I got the idea. I've been doing mini mashes for a while now, but I'm new to the all grain game. I originaly planned making a "real" Dry Stout, and then a new batch with more likely what you have suggested for specialty. Only difference here is what I can actually get in BR. Pale Ale is too expensieve for us, so we use - always - national pilsen malt for base.
I can get carahell, carafa, carapils, special-b, caravienne, caramucnich, etc. basically only weyermann malts. It is the only imported available for us.

But anyways, my main question now is:
Is it done fermenting @ 1.020 because I mashed at a too high a temperature?
Is that fact alone enough to bring my FG from 1.010 to 1.020?
Should I just RDWHAHB and bottle in a couple of weeks or should I try and do something about it?

Thanks again...

First of all, I would refer you to my avatar :D

Then, I would certainly let it sit a bit longer. It's a stout, they age very well, so length of time is not an issue. Give it another week in the secondary (or primary if that's what you have it in) and test the specific gravity again.

It will be somewhat difficult to brew english styles with only german style malts. Chocolate malt, roasted barley, crystals are all used a LOT in English style brewing.

M_C

As others have pointed out, US05 can ferment out a rusted volkswagen. I don't believe I've ever had a stuck fermentation from it. I'd wait a bit to make sure it's completely done. I'd also say I was going for a slightly sweet stout when someone tastes it. I'll bet it's going to be awesome. You can drop your mash temp next time to get that dry stout you wanted. Some of my best tasting beers were serendipitous results of 'mistakes'.

Well, seems like you're all right. I took another measurement and it is dropping slowly.
It is my first Stout and everything I've brewed with US-05 finished within the first week.
That's why I freaked out a little. LOL
RDWHAHB - that's the spirit.

The best thing is... it already tastes awesome!
I'll let you guys know, but I'm sure it will be a great brew.

Thank you all for the help

Latest posts

Back