bubbling stoped in less than 60 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superkabuto

Reaction score
My airlock was bubbling away yesterday, and today it's totally dead, less than 60 hours after pitching the yeast. Is this normal? There is a strong alcohol smell coming from the airlock. Yesterday it got quite warm in the part house where the fermenter was (80+F) so I moved it to a cooler place (68F). Might this sudden change in temperature affect/stall the yeast?

Thanks,

Rich

take a gravity reading, it might be done
yeast work faster at higher temps

I could be done, but I would let it sit for a couple more days in the cooler location just to be sure. I wouldn't check the gravity on it until day 7. It isn't going to hurt it to let it sit for a few more days, as painful as that can be at times :mug:

I like my fermentations to start cool and let them warm up as it slows. It helps the yeast finish well and clean up after themselves faster. It seems to make better beer and faster. I start in the low 60s and end near 70 for most ales. Having that kind of temp control has made me a better brewer.

The beer itself wouldn't change temperature that quickly just by moving it from 80 to 68. It has a pretty large thermal mass, so the ambient temp will change it over the course of several hours.

It's probably done or close to done -- and the airlock should never be your tool for evaluating fermentation. Give it a few days and take a hydro reading.

I had a Amber ale quit bubbling after just 48 hours. I let it sit for 2.5 weeks in primary, after taking a couple gravity readings and it hadnt changed, I bottled it and it turned out fine. Just leave it alone :)

Back