Brewers Best HopNog 2008...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone brewed up one of these kits yet? I scored myself one of these at my LHBS today. Just brewed up an IPA (Midwest Supplies Octane IPA) a week ago, but I couldn't resist (another moment of weakness :eek:). I'm guessing it'll be at least a week (maybe more) before I can brew this one as I have a couple others to do first.

Grabbed one as well and will brew this weekend. LHBS rep said he just brewed one as well but it was not ready to drink. My only experience with BB has been very favorable (Bold Series Nut Brown Ale) so hopefully this will follow suit.

Let me know what you think of the Octane. I just cracked a bottle and liked it very much. Hopefully you have similar results.

Grabbed one as well and will brew this weekend. LHBS rep said he just brewed one as well but it was not ready to drink. My only experience with BB has been very favorable (Bold Series Nut Brown Ale) so hopefully this will follow suit.

Let me know what you think of the Octane. I just cracked a bottle and liked it very much. Hopefully you have similar results.

I too have had good results so far with the BB kits. Certainly looking forward to trying the MWS Octane IPA, but it'll be a while. I give everything 3 weeks or so in primary (no secondary) so it'll be a while yet.

I see you have listed the Liberty Cream Ale in primary. I happened to have just recently bottled a batch of that as well. That's only been 1 1/2 weeks ago so I'll give that another couple weeks before trying that. I also have the MWS HoneyBee Ale to bottle this week yet.

Should be fun trying all these tasty brews! :mug:

Finally drinking this and really enjoying it. Very hoppy, almost Sierra Nevadish. This was my second brew and I'm very pleased. I could drink gallons of this. Oh wait, I already have. Time to buy more.

mine gets bottled today. Out of curiosity, mine came with 6lbs of LME and 1.5 lbs DME. Directions said use either LME or both. I, of course, added all of it, for a little higher ABV. I assume you guys did the same?

I just bought this kit myself, and it came with two bottles of Light pilsner ME. I know some of the Hopnog kits came with different combos of hops, but didn't realize they came with different malt extracts.

Going to be brewing it up tomorrow. Wish me luck, this is my first time brewing.

Just bottled this on Friday. I couldn't resist, and I had one after work today. Very tasty! This was my second batch, and it turned out a LOT better than the first brew. I may buy another one of these soon!

How long did you guys ferment for? I just started some the other day and it says 3-7 days and you can bottle. That seems awfully soon to me. I was thinking more like 3 weeks in the fermenter, then 3-6 weeks in the bottle.

Also, what abv % did you end up with? My original gravity was 1.050. The recipe indicated it should be 1.070 I think. Is this a problem or an indication of anything I may have done wrong/differently? This is my first brew, so I'm a little nervous.

How long did you guys ferment for? I just started some the other day and it says 3-7 days and you can bottle. That seems awfully soon to me. I was thinking more like 3 weeks in the fermenter, then 3-6 weeks in the bottle.

Go with your schedule. Racking your beer after 3-7 days in primary is way too soon.

with regard to the original gravity being off, perhaps you didn't mix your top off water in and weren't getting a good sample. everything should work out and there's no need to go messing with it now though. If it is an extract batch, you should get the OG as long as you didn't forget to add something.

I've seen this kit a couple of times at my LHBS and have been tempted to pick it up... Maybe I will sooner rather than later :)

Go with your schedule. Racking your beer after 3-7 days in primary is way too soon.

with regard to the original gravity being off, perhaps you didn't mix your top off water in and weren't getting a good sample. everything should work out and there's no need to go messing with it now though. If it is an extract batch, you should get the OG as long as you didn't forget to add something.

Thanks for the reenforcement, it's bubbling away and looking really good. Only 3 days in and she's already starting to slow down a little bit. I'll keep an eye on the bubbles and look for clearing.

Has anyone actually cracked a bottle of this stuff yet? If so, what's the word?

yup, drinking mine now. Man I love that grapefruit, hoppy taste! Mine came out great! I think my techniques have improved since I brewed it. I might have to pick up another one for more "scientific research".....

yup, drinking mine now. Man I love that grapefruit, hoppy taste! Mine came out great! I think my techniques have improved since I brewed it. I might have to pick up another one for more "scientific research".....

Great to hear! I'm tempted to go the extra mile and dry hop my as well. Do you think it's even necessary? Is it "in your face" with the hops as-is?

Ok, so went ahead and threw a handful (probably 2 oz.) of Simcoe leaf (probably would have used pellets, but these were free from a buddy of mine) in my fermenter. and I'm gonna wait for about a week then bottle. Can't wait to see how this stuff turns out!

Turned out awesome! Has hints of orange and hops a-plenty. Fantastic brew!!! I got an early sample of Troeg's Nugget Nectar and I swear I'd pick mine in a bland taste test every time! The Hop Nog is some good grog!

...and I swear I'd pick mine in a bland taste test every time!...

You'd win a "bland taste test"?!? Don't think I'd brag about that... :p j/k

My HopNog is going into bottles this week. I added 1oz of Amarillo to the secondary. Cant wait to tear into it :ban:

You'd win a "bland taste test"?!? Don't think I'd brag about that... :p j/k

My HopNog is going into bottles this week. I added 1oz of Amarillo to the secondary. Cant wait to tear into it :ban:

That's funny stuff right there!!! I assure you this stuff is anything but bland. You're gonna love it! Make sure you post your results when that first good day comes. BTW, I first tasted mine after only about 2 weeks in the bottle and it was already fantastic. I'm happy to have the recipe now as I'll certainly kep this one in heavy rotation.

I bought the Hopnog 2009 kit yesterday and I'm planning on brewing it today. I brewed a Brewer's Best English Brown Ale that came out great so I'm looking forward to this one. I'll let you know the results in a month or so.

Glad to hear all of the great reviews guys. I have this as my first brew, cooked it up on Sat and in the primary now bubbling away - pretty damn cool! I plan to goto secondary and it just says to do so before fermentation ends, so I plan to do it at the 4 or 5 day mark. Any thoughts there? not sure how to tell when ferm. is over, i read not to just look at the airlock.

I thought about dry hopping but since i'm a newbie figured i'd go normal route and see what happens. I didnt' know you could get creative with these kits, that will be a blast down the road. i did sub in a liquid yeast on this one, cali wyeth i think, my LHBS told me the flavor would be much better.

Ready to do a Brewer's best cream ale next or maybe a belgian triple.

:mug:

I still have some of my HopNog 2008 left -- maybe a 12 pack or so. It's over 11 months in the bottle and is quite tasty. Hopefully everyone's '09 HopNog turns out great!

Back