Did I ruin this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallucinaut

Reaction score
I was brewing my first batch yesterday. I messed up and forgot to add the liquid malt. It's been fermenting about 16 hrs, can I boil the malt for an hour, cool it down, and add it in now?

I did this once when I had just started and mixed it in with my giant spoon. But I had literally just pitched the yeast. The beer turned out fine, which was silly givin how many mistakes I made that day.

The way I understand it is that the first stage of the fermentation process invloves the yeast consuming the oxygen to reproduce.
So youre probably better off getting it in there sooner than later if you want to avoid oxidation.

If your careful with your sanitation, you might be able to just mix it in there. Otherwise, I'd rack off between a half to a full gallon and heat it up to boil and just mix the lme in. No need to boil it an hour

Back