Spring Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mresa641

Reaction score
Im sure this question might have been asked before but i cant find it. What beer styles fit best with fresh spring water? My family just rediscovered a well that links to Edwards aquifer here in Texas that was used by travelers in the early 1800s for wagon trails. But anyways what might this water be best used for?

First off I would have the water tested if the well was forgotten about, is there something wrong?

And with certain brewing software you are given the water quality and chemistry reports of several famous Breweries

-Jason

Spring water varries in minerals depending on what is common in the ground where the spring is. The water should be tested to see what the various mineral contents are. Ward Labs does an analysis fairly cheap.

While getting a report done will give you much more exact results, a quick look online suggests that the defining point of Edwards water is lots of bicarbonate, which can be a problem for anything but dark beers(dark roasted grains are more acidic, balancing the bicarbonate so the beer won't be too alkaline). There are some famous brewing cities with high bicarbonates like that, such as Burton, Dublin, and Dortmund, but they all have other important features like much higher calcium or sulfates, so they're not exactly comparable. From what Palmer and some others seem to suggest, for things other than dark beers you might do well to dilute it with some RO water if the carbonates are too high for style, and add some calcium, chloride, or sulfate to suit.

This of course is the result of some late night googling from someone hardly an expert, so I can't say so much more. This is where I got the ion concentrations for typical Edwards water and this is where I got ion concentrations for assorted brewing cities.

Back