10 Gallon brew- a couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I will be doing my first 10 gallon brew this week and have a couple of questions. (This is all grain too.)

1. For the recipe, can I just double a 5 gallon recipe?

2. I use White Labs yeast and make starters for every batch. Will one vial in a starter be enough for the larger batch?

3. If anyone has a good IPA recipe for 10 gallons, could you let me know?

Okay three questions, but close enough.

Thanks,
Kevin

Yes, basically you can for the most part double your recipe. Keep in mind you may need to tweak it to meet the conditions in your brew lab which are unique. ie., grain absorbtion, and rate of evaporation. I'm still running into minor issues with my gravity since I switched to 10 gal AG.

You WILL need to make a starter. I would shoot for making at least 32 ounce starter. I have used as little as 16 ounces, and in these cases experienced a lag phase between 15-24 hrs.

Indeano Pale Ale

--------------Ounces-Percentage
Malted Wheat 17.70 5.00%
Munich malt 35.40 10.00%
Crystal malt 35.40 10.00%
Pale malt 265.50 75.00%

Total Grist 22.125 lbs

55 IBU's- using Pellets

Hops------IBU's---Ounces--Alpha Acids
]Perle-------25---- 2.85-------7.7 kettle addition
Centennial-30----3.34--------9.4 Middle addtion
Centennial--------1.00 Late Addition
Cascade --------1.00 End of Boil
Cascade--------1.00 dry hop

Target Gravity 1.059
based on 75% attenuation
I guess should probably turn on html code to make this look a little neater:eek:

You guys that do 10 gallon batches--do you have larger fermenters, or do you just split them into two buckets and/or carboys?

I use a 16.5 gallon primary that I picked up from Crosby and Baker, and two five gallon glass carboys for secondary fermentation.

You could probably get away with a 12 gallon fermenting bucket. I think you are better off getting a more consistent batch if you use a single primary fermentation device. You don't have to fool around with splitting the your yeast starter equally between buckets, etc...:confused:

Back