Can dry yeast by mailed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevehn

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a question about dry yeast and standard snail mail. I'm having a lot of trouble finding Montrachet yeast in my city, and on any canadian supplier's sites.

Snail mail is cheap, and yeast packets are small enough to fit into an envelope. If I can someone willing to send some my way, will they survive the trip?

Also, my local supermarket has a homebrew section, and they keep their Lavlin 1118 (my current apfelwein yeast) on the shelf (room temp). Is this an issue, or should even dry yeast be refridgerated?

Cheers! :mug:

So long as snail mail isn't brutal to the envelope or it doesn't rain the yeast will be fine.

Refridgerated is best for long term storage and viability but, not an absolute requirement for dry yeast.

All yeast SHOULD be keep refridgerated, but most placed don't do it with dry yeast. It's not a big deal in my opinion. Just make sure YOU store it in the refridgerator. Shipping isn't an issue.

Back