why would you stop brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncommonsense

Reaction score
Just bought some used equepment of the ebay. The coment on it said he was getting out of the hobby. I'm pretty much stuck (to much time an money put in) but what would make you stop wanting to brew.

Two things:
1) Medical condition that precludes drinking
2) Death

B

Bottling, I know guys that have wanted to give up the hobby because they had the craps of bottling everytime.

As for me I'm stuck for life, best hobby ever!

i dont think there is anything that would make me want to stop brewing. there might be some things that would atually FORCE me to stop, but nothing to make me want to quit.

Could be for several reasons. Heres the first ten to come to mind.
1. Too expensive
2. Another hobby has taken over
3. Causes family issues/over consumption
4. Time consuming
5. Other priorities
6. Keeps making crappy beer
7. Medical reasons
8. Allergic reaction
9. Prison
10. Converted to Islam

unfortunately, it gets harder to justify the amount of time you spend on brewing as time goes on. kids, family, work, etc. tend to gobble up more of your time than you originally had when you started brewing. i don't have any kids yet, and tend to have a fair amount of free time, but finding time to brew just seems more and more difficult. i don't ever plan to leave the hobby, but my obsession with it has definitely waned.

lots of things could happen...

new job that takes up too much time
lost a job so you have no money
A new SWMBO that MBO and doesnt like beer
got too fat drinking beer

Maybe the person started using meth and couldnt get their kicks from beer anymore... who knows.

Maybe I misread the question. Those were guesses on why he stopped. Not reasons for me to stop.

I do not want to speculate on what might happen to me to make me want to quit. But as for the person who sold his equipment, he probably just never learned to RDWHAHB!

I've gone pretty close to a year without brewing, and know plenty of other folks who have taken that long of a sabbatical. Have a couple kids, have a couple of big house projects, have a busy job, it's pretty easy for homebrewing to have to take a backseat. Not a huge leap to imagine it being foregone entirely, especially if finances were to get tight.

I stopped brewing for 6-7 years. During that time I probably made 3 batches. Why? Several reasons. First, when I started brewing (1991) what was available in St. Louis sucked, so it help alleviate that situation. When I stopped, it wasn't the case any more. Second, I had a stretch where one beer would give me a headache. It just wasn't worth it. Finally, I started a playing a lot more golf and didn't have time to brew.

I started brewing again about a year and a half ago. Fortunately, I hadn't sold my equipment.

I've known a few people that got into brewing not to make good beer, but to try to make cheaper beer than what they could get at a store. I've heard some people on here can make good beer pretty cheap, but I always seem to take any savings and reinvest them in more beer-related stuff!

I could see weight gain, health problems or over drinking could easily be causes to stop or slow down significantly. Over my first 8 months of brewing I gained 20 lb, especially after I stopped swimming after work. Not only did I not get that physical activity anymore, but that time was replaced by a few extra beers.. getting up to 4-5 a night. Anyhow, I've started swimming over the last 4 month heavily, dropped down to 24 oz max during the week and have dropped all the weight and more, and feel the best physically I have in a in a long time. I think about how much I love the hobby and don't want to ruin it by losing that discipline. On the weekend though.... I knock em' back

I'm a serial hobbyist. Brewing is time-consuming. I can imagine this hobby being displaced by the next interest. Right now home brewing is holding steady while beekeeping is on the ascendency.

I've stopped brewing a couple tim,es, and then come back a couple years later. Both times, it just so happened that my wife gave birth to our children. In retrospect, I think its because I needed the time to help take care of the kids.

Glad we're done having kids!

erikpete18 said:
I've known a few people that got into brewing not to make good beer, but to try to make cheaper beer than what they could get at a store. I've heard some people on here can make good beer pretty cheap, but I always seem to take any savings and reinvest them in more beer-related stuff!

I've done the math. It cheaper for me but not if I wanted bud light. $13 sixpack for me minimum.

Acoma said:
Affraid not.

Per Wikipedia: Muslims are restricted in their diet. Prohibited foods include pork products, blood, carrion, and alcohol. :drunk:

I thought it was the fermentation of grape and grain. Which was why mead was popular there. Maybe they got more specific last I studyed it.( mead that is)

I thought it was the fermentation of grape and grain. Which was why mead was popular there. Maybe they got more specific last I studyed it.( mead that is)

Interesting. I've always been told any kind of alcohol is forbidden. It's safe to say converting to Islam wouldnt be a factor for me.

Acoma said:
Interesting. I've always been told any kind of alcohol is forbidden. It's safe to say converting to Islam wouldnt be a factor for me.

I think now it is but back then there it said no grape or grain. I think mead was a nice loop hole.

Why would I stop brewing you ask? Sure you wanna know? This is NOT for the feint of heart,folks. It is the epitome of all that which sucks. Something so terrible,you can't bare the thought of ever facing it when it rears it's ugly head. Something so foul to the senses it needs to be killed before it has a chance to be fruitful & multiply!!
The thing that befouls your EVERY dream,that which makes you snap awake in a cold sweat!! The thing so disgusting in the eyes of angels & men alike,that you pray to the Almighty to rid the earth of it!!!!
One simple,yet undeniable fact that comes up more & more as you get older. You're getting tired of fighting it...& it KNOWS you are. But still you soldier on...no,... can't give up...must...try....somehow...But no! It's got you,& you can't escape it's terrible grasp. With it's foul wreaking odorous sweaty emanations...You're retired & too low on $$ to buy more brewing stuff%$##@@~#@# AAAARRRRGH! OH,THE HORROR!:drunk::D:confused:

I think I would give it up if I started brewing nasty beer...but the beers just keep getting better and better! :mug:

coastwx, I have the same problem right now...have gained 15 kg in 7 months and need to do something about it now. I have already forced myself to cut down on the beer which has stopped the weight GAIN, but now I am going to have to LOSE weight which is the difficult part.

I cannot blame ALL the weight gain on beer, though, because I have also stopped smoking which makes me want to snack all the time.

I'll get over it though...the greater the trial, the greater the triumph. :)

unionrdr said:
Why would I stop brewing you ask? Sure you wanna know? This is NOT for the feint of heart,folks. It is the epitome of all that which sucks. Something so terrible,you can't bare the thought of ever facing it when it rears it's ugly head. Something so foul to the senses it needs to be killed before it has a chance to be fruitful & multiply!!
The thing that befouls your EVERY dream,that which makes you snap awake in a cold sweat!! The thing so disgusting in the eyes of angels & men alike,that you pray to the Almighty to rid the earth of it!!!!
One simple,yet undeniable fact that comes up more & more as you get older. You're getting tired of fighting it...& it KNOWS you are. But still you soldier on...no,... can't give up...must...try....somehow...But no! It's got you,& you can't escape it's terrible grasp. With it's foul wreaking odorous sweaty emanations...You're retired & too low on $$ to buy more brewing stuff%$##@@~#@# AAAARRRRGH! OH,THE HORROR!:drunk::D:confused:

Can I keep you in jar and let you out when I need lulz

I know many guys that have quit (maybe not forever) due to having kids. priorities and free time change drastically when that happens.

I could see getting bored with it. I've had a few 'breaks' from brewing but never tossed all my gear.

unfortunately, it gets harder to justify the amount of time you spend on brewing as time goes on. kids, family, work, etc. tend to gobble up more of your time than you originally had when you started brewing. i don't have any kids yet, and tend to have a fair amount of free time, but finding time to brew just seems more and more difficult. i don't ever plan to leave the hobby, but my obsession with it has definitely waned.

I know many guys that have quit (maybe not forever) due to having kids. priorities and free time change drastically when that happens.

I could see getting bored with it. I've had a few 'breaks' from brewing but never tossed all my gear.

I'm at the opposite spectrum now- no kids at home, so I have way more time to brew now that I"m not working (much). Off-topic, but I retired. I stayed retired for a grand total of 7 weeks, then went back to work part-time. Still, it's not many hours and just enough spending money for me to feed my brewing obsession.

Sometimes I'm bored-ish with brewing. The problem is that I'm not bored with beer- and I drink WAY too much to purchase expensive craft beer!

I'm in great physical shape but the lifting/carrying was getting too much so I invested in a great HERMS with a pump and CFC. If I couldn't have done that, I might have had to quit brewing because the lifting was really starting to affect me. Especially when I do a 10 gallon batch. A keggle with 11 gallons of wort weighs over 110 pounds- I weigh 135! If I didn't have the money to spend on a system to allow me to physically manage it, I'd probably have to quit or at least slow way down.

I don't plan on stopping brewing any time soon, but when we're in Texas I can't brew. Going two months without brewing was very hard- I will have to find brewing friends in the area so I can crash their brewdays. I found one guy only 30 miles away, and I may try to go to his place to brew with him next winter. We'll see!

We need a forum for the old HB retirees to pass down their brew rigs to young bucks with big ideas and no money. Put it right next to the classifieds. Feats of brew strength will be required for eligible acceptors.

Dunerunner said:
Quit brewing forever? Death!

Is there Brewing in Heaven?

I do believe the answer to your question can be found in the following lyrics:

"In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here.
When we are gone from here, all our friends will be drinking all our beer!"

Back