Dry stout- ready in 2.5 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaba

Reaction score
Going to visit some friends in a couple weeks and I would like to bring a keg of dry stout with me. It'll be a pretty basic guiness-like dry stout at about 1.045 or 1.050. I usually let most of my beers sit 3 or 4 weeks in primary/secondary before touching them, so i'm unfamiliar with quick turnarounds (also relatively new to kegging). I would probably let it sit in primary for the 2.5 weeks and then keg it with the quick and dirty shaking method a night or two before I leave. Do you think it'll be ready to drink in about 2.5 weeks, or am I wasting my time?

It should be drinkable but you should know it will be much better if you wait longer. But you have to do what you have to do right.

Try a bitter instead, using s-04 or 1968 you can definatley have it ready in a few weeks.
Start it in the low 60's to mid 60's for 3 days then let it rip to around 70 after a week.

To me a stout needs a minimum of 6-8 weeks provided your water is right (hardness)

Back