Whats the white crap in my HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Boss

Reaction score
Its been happening for quite awhile now, and we have pretty hard water in NE. I have a filter that was a paper/cloth sediment filter and now I put a charcoal filter that is supposed to filter chlorine. Still happening,:( whats up?

postpics.gif

Seriously, it could be anything if we can't see it

We have hard water here, too. The white stuff is deposits from the hard water. Our water is very high in carbonates, and the carbonates precipitate out after a boil. I assume your HLT isn't boiling, but it must be hot enough to get the carbonates to precipitate out.

Do you notice a scale on your pipes, or on your shower head, too? I do. I get a buildup on my shower head and I soak it about once a year in Lime-a-way or some vinegar.

a friend of mine runs straight tap water for his brewing. when i add 5.2 to it and heat in the hlt i get a ton of floating white precipitates that look kinda like snow. never has effected the finished product though.

Back