How much sediment should go into my primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDegga

Reaction score
How's that for a clear and concise question?

Actually, I was just wondering what the easiest way to get my wort from the boil pot (after my chiller has worked is't magic) into the primary. Currently I am using a huge funnel with a very fine mesh screen in the neck. The screen is uch a fine mesh that it takes me a long time to transfer because I need to constantly clear the screen of hop debris etc.
Am I worrying too much about what goes into my primary? I am currently trying to let only 'liquid' and no hop residue etc. in the primary.
Any thoughts?

-E

I usually just dump it all in. Well, since I can't lift 5.25 gallons, first I siphon about 1/2 of it, then dump it in. If I'm making an IPA or something with a HUGE amount of hops, I'll use a sanitized spaghetti strainer to catch some of the hops leaves or the sludge if I've used pellets. I don't worry about hot break or cold break- in fact, I've heard it's good for the yeast. So I pretty much leave it all in there and pour it in.

Like I said, though, if I have a ton of sludge, I either strain that, or stop pouring when it really gets thick and gross.

i rack first into one carboy and let it settle and then i syphon into the second with my autosyphon leaving behind most of the trub,

OK, so after all this time, I've been stressing over nothing...Hmmmmmm....

Does it all (The hop and grain residue) just settle to the bottom during the primary phase? If so, I could rack to the secondary as I have been doing, leaving it behind with the yeast cake huh?

This sounds like it would take a lot of the stress out of the inital brew for me, as this potentially useless first step is actually the only part of my brew that I need a second (or third) hand with.

Very cool,
Thanks!
-E

That's pretty much it. I've had some hops left floating after fermentation if I use plugs, but nothing I can't just siphon out from under when I go to bottle/secondary.

Terje

That's a good question, I was wondering the same thing. I guess I screwed up a little on my first batch because I tossed out about a quart of wort and sludge instead of just transferring it all into the fermenter.

OK, so after all this time, I've been stressing over nothing...Hmmmmmm....

Does it all (The hop and grain residue) just settle to the bottom during the primary phase? If so, I could rack to the secondary as I have been doing, leaving it behind with the yeast cake huh?

This sounds like it would take a lot of the stress out of the inital brew for me, as this potentially useless first step is actually the only part of my brew that I need a second (or third) hand with.

Very cool,
Thanks!
-E

Yes, not only with the stuff settle to the bottom, but it will actually compress down there, and not take up as much room as your think. I'm all about making good beer, but I've also tried to streamline my processes. I don't even rack to secondary very often anymore- just leave it in the ale pail fermenter for 2-3 weeks. If I'm dryhopping or something, though, I'll use the carboy.

that is the idea behind the secondary.....dont worry if a bunch of trub because it will be left behind when you move to secondary. thats the entire point

Forever I've been painstakingly dumping my wort in thirds through a metal strainer into a large funnel with a (what seems like).000000000000001 micron filter, clearing the filter with constant swiping with a rubbermaid spatula (this takes forever) trying to get out as much solid and particulate matter as possible. It's nice to hear that this may be way over the top.
I'm alway into "easier with the same results".
-E

I simply have my pickup tube in my keggle set to leave 1/2 gallon in the kettle after the boil. Some junk gets transferred into the primary, but who cares right? Some trub is good for yeast vitality, and after the ferment and cold crash, you can syphon off the beer very easily.

Forever I've been painstakingly dumping my wort in thirds through a metal strainer into a large funnel with a (what seems like).000000000000001 micron filter, clearing the filter with constant swiping with a rubbermaid spatula (this takes forever) trying to get out as much solid and particulate matter as possible. It's nice to hear that this may be way over the top.
I'm alway into "easier with the same results".
-E

no need...if your really that worried let it settle and then transfer to another container. then pitch your yeast....your working alot harder than you need to.

Actually I'm not worried at all, I just want to brew good beer. Saving this step will be a welcome relief. I'm brewing an American Ale soon, and I'll do it without the hassle of strainig the wort.

Back