Does lactose added at bottling add to the FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a maple brown that I added two pounds (you did read that right) of lactose to at priming. I primed with pure Grade B Vermont maple syrup (8fl. oz. for 2 volumes of carb) and dissolved two pounds of lactose into the priming solution (with extra water). Priming solution tasted like maple toffee--it was SICK! :ban:

Anyway, any idea if the lactose will add any gravity to my brew? Just curious, not looking to stroke my ego here.

Pre-priming sugar/lactose, the beer was an even 5% ABV with a 1.011 grav (it was 1.049 OG), for reference.

Thanks, and happy holidays.
Nige

I think a pound of lactose adds 36 points. 2 lbs = 72 points, or increases the gravity by 14 points for 5 gallons.

You just turned a respectably finished beer of 1.011 into a sickly 1.025. Why did you do it?

You will not get any additional abv since it is non-fermentable.

Thanks, all.

Calder: I couldn't respect the beer as it was. haha. Really, I'd expected it to stop in the 20s, gravity-wise, but it kept on going, very slowly with the addition of the maple syrup to the secondary, and ended up way lower than what I was shooting for: something sweet and somewhat more viscous. It's only a week old in bottles, but I checked on one today and it's doing very well. Still needs some conditioning, of course, but it's now sweet enough. Thanks for the info and numbers.

Back