Sort of a DIY epiphany!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmoor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry a little OT for DIY.

I have been working on a Brew Stand for the last few months. Designing and sourcing parts. Building and dreaming of when it will be finished. Well I am getting down to the end and I looking back at what I could do differently. Well here is the epiphany.

Get Stuff For FREE!

Samples, Samples, and more Samples.

I never really though of trying it too much during my build, but I received a sample motorized ball valve from a manufacturer in china. FREE. I am receiving stainless steel push buttons from a manufacturer. FREE.

I realized today. If I would have done my homework. I could have received a lot more samples of the things I needed for this project. All you have to do is ask.

This is how I built everything I ever did in college.

"Hello, I'm working on a student project, could you send me a sample of ..."

I got parts that normally went for $500+ that way.

I've done this where I used to work. Asked for some White LEDs for samples when they were still pretty new. I used them for my prototype PED flashlights for caving and for a reading lamp I made up.

I never thought about asking for samples for something big like Brew rig though. Hurry, everyone order samples before the companies find out what we're up to!

I did use my "Brewery" name if they asked for a business. I just explained how I was going to use the part in my stand and that I was evaluating what might work best for the specific application. The one guy I emailed was very interested in the Brewstand. He thought it was cool.

good call. Writing letters does wonders too, if only for some schwag if nothing else. I'm surprised no one has asked for your sources yet!
OT: I drove cross country some years ago and planned on camping in the badlands of south dakota and having an epiphany....didn't happen, i got lost hiking

good call. Writing letters does wonders too, if only for some schwag if nothing else. I'm surprised no one has asked for your sources yet!
OT: I drove cross country some years ago and planned on camping in the badlands of south dakota and having an epiphany....didn't happen, i got lost hiking

My sources are the internet. Globalspec and TradeKey helped for this project. TradeKey; under a company listing will say if they have samples.

I found a link to the switch samples on an electronics project site.

Back