why r my bottles always over carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
i mostly keg only bottled like 4 times. 1st 2 times i measured and used priming sugar. Next 2 times i used coopers carb tablets. all sit at around 70 degree for two weeks then move to basement about 63 . Everytime time there undercarbed, then perfect the the next time a drink them about a week or 2 they r always overcarbed why??? im not drinking them evreyday, about 1 or 2 every 1-2 weeks. i got two kegs to kill before the next batch.

My only guess is that your are bottling too soon. If you are sure that you are using the correct amount of priming sugar, then you may be bottling before your beer has reached terminal gravity. The left over fermentables could be causing your problems.

I am experiencing the same thing recently. I am using the priming sugar calculator.. making sure the FG is right. After a while, I have to pour em so gently as to be ridiculous.

I am experiencing the same thing recently. I am using the priming sugar calculator.. making sure the FG is right. After a while, I have to pour em so gently as to be ridiculous.

I doubt this has anything to do with bottling too early, IMO.

I think that what is happeneing is your priming calculator is giving you the right numbers based on the data you give it. However, the data is wrong. Let me elaborate...

You brew 5 US gallons of beer, after boil. By the time you rack off the trub/hops you will have signifigantly less beer - your program gives you the priming sugar by weight based on a FULL 5 gallons. I have had this issue myself, but after I started reducing the priming sugar addition just slightly (hard to know exactly how many bottles you are going to get unless you have a calibrated measuring stick for your bottling vessel), I have had no issues. I just ballapark 15-20% less depending on my trub amount, heck on some IPAs I use 30% less due to a crapload of trub.

If you are using a secondary, your beer loss is even slightly worse.

Be warned though, if you have a high gravity beer you actually need MORE sugar in most cases, so do not reduce the sugar weight in those batches and it should be just right. Mind you, if your brewing calculator factors in the proper amount of trub loss - this would be a non issue.

$.02

:mug:

i did bottle a week early on my last batch

How do you know it's a week early? Did your yeast tell you it would be finished in a week?

There's no way to brew and say on X day, it'll be ready to bottle. You need to use your hydrometer and bottle when the beer is ready to be bottled, not when you decide you want to bottle it.

You brew 5 US gallons of beer, after boil. By the time you rack off the trub/hops you will have signifigantly less beer - your program gives you the priming sugar by weight based on a FULL 5 gallons. I have had this issue myself, but after I started reducing the priming sugar addition just slightly (hard to know exactly how many bottles you are going to get unless you have a calibrated measuring stick for your bottling vessel), I have had no issues. I just ballapark 15-20% less depending on my trub amount, heck on some IPAs I use 30% less due to a crapload of trub.

how in the heck are you getting 30% trub?? :p

How do you know it's a week early? Did your yeast tell you it would be finished in a week?

There's no way to brew and say on X day, it'll be ready to bottle. You need to use your hydrometer and bottle when the beer is ready to be bottled, not when you decide you want to bottle it.

You haven't heard of Wyeast's new Predictor Packs line? Its pretty cool, most of the yeast are normal, but a small percentage of them are trained to form yeast clumps against the wall of your carboy that spell out how much longer they have to go.

Funny how I posted on here, about over carbed beer and my next post was about a completely flat DFH 60 min.

Back