Possible Stalled Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
I am brewing the wonderful greatness of the Southern Star Bombshell Blonde Ale (Texas Local Beer).

Brewed this as a partial mash - checked OG in at 1.053 (Perfect - Spot On!) Color was perfect etc...

Anyhow - it has been in the primary for two weeks, airlock has ceased completely and the foam on the top of the wort has just fallen to the bottom - I do not plan to secondary this beer.

This is my superbowl beer folks. I have roughly two more weeks here.

Thieved about two cups today to take hydro readings and do a mid-term tasting. The FG should be 1.012 but checked in today at 1.017(ish) with my cheap hydrometer. Taste was good - but a slight sweetness that I can only assume is that there is still some fermentables in the beer...?

I know that this is still green and way early but this was supposed to be a fast beer and I am just a little concerned that this will not be ready if I don't take some actions.

Should I pitch more yeast at this point - could this do any good or could it screw up my progress? or will the remaining yeast complete the task at hand but at a much slower rate? I am leaning towards just leaving it because I have a feeling that things will be fine... but....superbowl man...superbowl...lots of people waiting on this batch!

At this point, I would go with it. There are alot of posts on fermentation. Did you stir the yeast in aka aerate? also what kind of yeast did you use? Dry, liquid slap pack?

At this point, I would go with it. There are alot of posts on fermentation. Did you stir the yeast in aka aerate? also what kind of yeast did you use? Dry, liquid slap pack?

Negative to stirring in the yeast - just pitched it.
I use oxygen to aerate.
Liquid California Ale - Wyeast with a 1 Gallon Starter.

ok. sounds like that would cover it. What is the Southern Star Bombshell Blonde Ale like. Mind sharing your recipe?

????????

If it's still 1.017, it's still done.

Done but not to the recipe (1.012). When I tasted it - it tasted a slight sweetness - I am just wondering if adding more yeast will clean this up or the original yeast cake will do the same thing over a longer period?

Done but not to the recipe (1.012). When I tasted it - it tasted a slight sweetness - I am just wondering if adding more yeast will clean this up or the original yeast cake will do the same thing over a longer period?

Well, if it's done more yeast won't do anything.

The recipe FG is a guideline, but you're only .005 away from that guideline.

I really don't understand the issue here. It's done.

Latest posts

Back