Sailor's Funeral for my Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisjrp4

Reaction score
I brewed an Oktoberfest a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure if I should dump it or let it age. I used Wyeast 2112 with the following recipe 6# 2-Row, 4# Munich, 0.5# 60L, 0.5# Wheat, 6.3 AAU Liberty for 60 min, 0.75 oz Saaz for 15 min. It was a bit of a sluggish start and fermentation, and took about 3 weeks to finish at 66 - 68 degrees. Now it has been in the kegerator for 2 weeks and it tastes off/yeasty. It's also not real clear. I thought 2112 was supposed to make "malty, brilliantly clear beer." Am I using the yeast wrong? Does the beer just need more time to age? Dump it?

I have not used that yeast for an Oktoberfest but I would at least give it some more time to condition.

Did you make a starter? What was the final gravity.

In either case I would just wait it out to see what happens. Time can heal alot of perceived faults.

I did make a starter but it still took a while before I saw activity in the airlock. Final gravity was 1.017.

I brewed an Oktoberfest a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure if I should dump it or let it age. I used Wyeast 2112 with the following recipe 6# 2-Row, 4# Munich, 0.5# 60L, 0.5# Wheat, 6.3 AAU Liberty for 60 min, 0.75 oz Saaz for 15 min. It was a bit of a sluggish start and fermentation, and took about 3 weeks to finish at 66 - 68 degrees. Now it has been in the kegerator for 2 weeks and it tastes off/yeasty. It's also not real clear. I thought 2112 was supposed to make "malty, brilliantly clear beer." Am I using the yeast wrong? Does the beer just need more time to age? Dump it?

It sounds like the beer is still green, so I would let it age. I don't think it will ever taste like an Oktoberfest, but it probably will be a nice example of California common.

Back