When to smack the pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I'm using a Wyeast smack pack for the first time. I'm planning on brewing tomorrow, so not time for a starter, plus it's not a big beer...

Anyway, it's a 1056 American ale, dated January 6th 2009, so it's really fresh. Should I wait until tomorrow morning to smack it, or should I smack it today to make it ready for tomorrow? I'm inclined to think I should wait until tomorrow morning when I start brewing. Thanks!

I smack mine about 4 hours before I start the brew, so it's at least 5 1/2 before I use it. make sure the packet inside is broken, the last one I used the pack swelled, but the inside packet had only leaked out about half way. I dunped the rest in at pitch time, it was fine.

If it's that fresh it should swell up tight in 3 hours and seem like it's gonna pop. I don't think there's anything to be gained from smacking it the night before unless you're making a starter.

I smacked mine last night and put a 3 cup starter together for a 1.070 brew I'm making tonight, even though it's only 24 hours I figure it still should bump up the cell count enough to be worthwhile.

Perfect time to make a starter.
If you make one this evening the yeasts will be at near the maximum cell count and very active tomorrow for your brew. I believe the cell count reaches maximum in a starter between 12 and 18 hours after pitching.

However if your beer is <1.050 and you don't want to bother I think smacking it in the morning is the best idea.

Craig

I normally take the pack out the fridge and smack it first thing when I start brewing. By the time I've prepared and cleaned everything, mashed, sparged, boiled, and cooled, it's nicely swollen.

If you're just doing extract rather than a mash, you might want to smack it an hour or two ahead of time.

Yeah, given the fact that it's so fresh, it's a smaller beer (1.050), and I'm doing AG, I think smacking it first thing tomorrow before I start will be good. Thanks!

I try to do it the morning of the brew but rarely remember. It normally gets smacked just before I start brewing which means 2-3 hours before pitching. This has always worked well for me.

Tom

Back