Best porter? Deschutes Black Butte vs. Sam Smith Taddy Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just for the fun of it... If you love porter and know both beers, which is you favorite? It's a photo finish for me but I call Taddy Porter by a nose.

1409710082472.jpg

I didn't drink either of these beers at the same time in my drinking career. Which would I prefer? Deschutes. Taddy is excellent, but it's a tough call because I think both are world class.

Deschutes is smoky, and coffee, and a little bit chocolate. Sam Smith's is malty, and toffee, with a hint of chocolate and coffee. If I'm only gonna have one, Taddy porter by a nose. (he-he)

Sinebrychoff (Koff for short) Porter, by far the best porter in the world.

Made in Finland, 7.2% ABV.

porter_lasissa.jpg

Mix them together to create the perfect porter? I'm always surprised that blending beers isn't more popular than it is.

I'll take Evil Twin Lil B over either of those. Not knocking your choices. They're great. Just a preference.

If I had to pick from one of those, I'd go with Taddy. There are however, much better porters out there though. (And stouts beat porters any day of the week.)

will have to try that one, if I can find it. Love a good porter.

I have had the Black butte port and that is a really good one, but I have to say, there is a micro near my house that makes one better.

Six row brewery porter.

Six Row Brewery

Taddy is excellent, but it's a tough call because I think both are world class.

It's kind of hard to be world class with a name as campy as Black Butte. Taddy can be found all around the world, while it's exceptionally rare to see Black Butte up here in Scandinavia.

Deschutes for daily consumption. I can see the Butte through the trees at home, and bottles are always at Costco. I love Taddy Porter too. But I have to give the win to Deschutes for the anniversary bottles of Black Butte XX (except for XXIII)

Sure, here ya go:

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3010-sinebrychoff-porter-clone

I was referring to my hard copy but the recipe is the same as what they've made available online. Now I remember why I haven't brewed it: lager yeast. Hope to have temp controlled fermentation chamber in coming month or two for just such a beer.

Thanks. Not a very accurate recipe in terms of resulting in 6.1% ABV, whereas the real deal is 7.2% ABV. I might try the extract with grains recipe since I'm not equipped for full grain at the moment.

So, I found some taddy porter at world market. Gonna say, it is good, but doesnt have that big chocolate and hoppy bite that black butte has. I prefer the black butte

Back