How soon must I use liquid malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeEh

Reaction score
If I buy ingredients online for a couple of different beers at once in order to save on shipping, is it ok keep the extract in my fridge for a few weeks?

It will stay fine for a looooong time if refrigerated. If in doubt call the place you bought it from and ask them

Refrigeration isnt recommended. But a cool and dry place. Im shure the fridge is ok temperarly but more than a few months then the humidity is what can get to it.If it is vacuume sealed it may be a different story though. Like most things you want to keep air and humidity out.
You dont have anything to worry about with a few weeks

I buy LME in 33 lb plastic containers. Keep it in a cool place (basement), try to keep contamination out, and it should keep for months.

I actually kept an open one for 7 years and still used it, after removing the mold from the top. I gave up brewing for 7 years. I would not do that now, but it helped me get back into it and seemed to make a decent beer.

I got a recipe from BMW with a bucket of LME. That was back in March. I kept the LME in my kegerator and finally brewed it in December. It was fine when I opened it, and the gravity samples have tasted fine so far.

If I buy ingredients online for a couple of different beers at once in order to save on shipping, is it ok keep the extract in my fridge for a few weeks?

Stock up. I crack my own grains have a vacuume sealer usually get dry instead of liquid malt these things help keep the beer supplies fresher. I have to mail order some of my supplies also. If I get liquid malt extract i use that before dry and also have vacuume sealed hop pellots i stick in the freezer- i think i have a year supply.:mug:

Thanks for all of this great info. I just got some liquid malt extract from Northern Brewers and wont be using it right away.

P.S What about dry Yeast. How long will it store and should I put it in the refrigerate?

Roger

you should keep all your yeast in the fridge. Dry yeast will keep at least till the expiration date.

Back